Bird flu kills tigers in Thailand

BelgianBoy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

555555 my twisted mind just thought about how with the SARS threat and the terrorist treat, that the only people willing to come to LOS this winter will be the punters.......... (sure wouldn't bring my family concept) ..... and they'll find the bars, clubs and night spots closed.

Brilliant planning. Of course they will have to charge 5,000 baht for a short time room to make for the loss of revenue. :banghead:

This massive loss of tigers is simply unbelieveable -- and shows are brain dead the zoo keepers must be. Why? Well, Dusit Zoo in Bangkok lost several beautiful big cats during the bird flu outbreak early this year ... after they feed them RAW CHICKEN.

So the wallies who ran the zoos saved a bit on using chicken. Now how much have they lost? I don't think tigers come that cheaply.

re: pussy cats, the only cases I've ever heard of came on a chicken farm, where the owner feed his house cats -- you guessed it -- raw chicken.

Sensible rule -- don't eat chicken unless it is well cooked. Same thing with eggs. (I can't see any hundreds of peple dying of bird flu and being chucked into the rivers or anything. That's a story I won't swallow even if well cooked.)

There is a manhunt going on in Belgium right now for a Thai man who smuggled two asian eagles in to a Belgium airport. The two eagles were subsequently found to be infected with bird flu, and have now been destroyed. I personally think this thing is getting out of control and is far more serious than the Thai authorities want to admit, even to themselves. :(

(source BBC teletext)

Pete,

Yep, I know this since 2 days, but could not find an English link to post here.

The Thai guy was let go after his 2 birds were confiscated and put down as they had the dreaded bird flu.

The thai guy turned himself to the police yesterday and is in hospital for checks, as is the vet who put down the birds down.

Big scare here.

BB

"I don't think tigers come that cheaply."

I think some have suggest they are worth more dead than alive. Very sad, but I can see it happening.

Regarding bird flu, what I read is that time is the enemy with this one. Because they are worried about mutation, they need to put it down quickly in the bird population i.e., culling.

I was talking to a Thai friend last night and his family has a farm that raises prize fighting cocks. He said a champion can fetch 1 million baht or more (he could be bullshitting me, but I know they are expensive) and that they lost 400 birds to the flu. I can't imagine Thais are culling like the are supposed to.

If I think about it, I can see a huge disincentive for the Thai govt to deal with this the way they should.

Archived