Britons jailed for drug smuggling

torrenova

So another couple of wasters have met their fate at the hands of the Thai authorities after an attempted drug smuggling run.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/3971091.stm

Why the British government should assist such wankers and attempt to have the death sentence on one of them commuted is beyond me.

If you can't do the time then don't do the crime.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely sir a waste of taxpayers money. It's splashed all over the front of the leicester mercury as one comes from blaby anyone know Steve Willcox? Seems they did not even risk their futures for any great amounts either. No excuses can be made, but they did come up with the usual we we conned by mr big, who of course cannot be found. Anyone considering a visit on 'compassionate' grounds?-peter

CondomKing said:

So, how were they caught? Does anyone know the "backstory"?

from a ThaiVisa.com post

BANGKOK: -- A Briton was today sentenced to death and another jailed for more than 30 years for drug possession in Thailand.

Anthony Flanaghan, 34, from Nuneaton, will face execution if he fails to win an appeal against his conviction.

But the UK Government today said it would intervene on his behalf should all legal options be exhausted.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: ?Our policy is to make representations against the use of a death sentence where it is imposed against a British citizen.

?Obviously we are going to be seeking advice from Mr Flanaghan?s lawyer. We have to wait for all appeals to go through.?

Flanaghan was found guilty of illegal drug possession with intent to sell and handed his sentence by Bangkok judge Thawat Choonkluabthong.

He denied the charges and said that he planned to appeal.

Stephen Willcox, 39, from Leicester was given a 33 and a half year prison term and fined £10,000 after admitting possession of drugs including heroin, amphetamines and Ecstasy.

The men were shackled at the ankles and handcuffed together in court. They wore brown and orange prison uniform.

Acting on a tip-off, police arrested Flanaghan and seized an unspecified amount of heroin from him in April last year as he got off a bus in Bangkok from north-eastern Udon Thani province.

Flanaghan told officials that Willcox had paid him to transport the drugs.

Police then searched a house where Willcox lived on the southern resort island of Koh Samui and said they confiscated 1.23 ounces of heroin, 11 amphetamine pills, 14 Ecstasy pills and 1.06 ounces of marijuana.

The defendants have 30 days in which to lodge an appeal but any appeal process could then drag on for months.

It has often been known for westerners in Thailand to have death sentences commuted to life in prison.

Both men have been receiving consular assistance and officials have been in touch with Willcox?s family.

But Flanaghan has told UK officials he had no family to inform.

anyone recognize them

Willcox & Flanaghan

"So another couple of wasters..."

Cannot understand such examples of semi-ritual rubbishing of drug convicts by normally intelligent posters..

Joe Public knows next to nothing about the circumstances of their crime...

Is your faith in the justice system so pristine?

Police then searched a house where Willcox lived on the southern resort island of Koh Samui and said they confiscated 1.23 ounces of heroin, 11 amphetamine pills, 14 Ecstasy pills and 1.06 ounces of marijuana.

The amounts indicated here hardly indicate mister bigs of the trade.

They are the poor saps who are used as an expample so that Thailand appears to be doing a good job against the drug trade.

Gimme a break!

They are definitely stupid for doing drugs in a country where the penalties are so harsh.

Anybody in Thailand could be set up by the locals if they had a grudge against you and there is not much you could do about it.

Sobering thought really.

rompandadam said:

"So another couple of wasters..."

Cannot understand such examples of semi-ritual rubbishing of drug convicts by normally intelligent posters..

Joe Public knows next to nothing about the circumstances of their crime...

Is your faith in the justice system so pristine?

All druggies are wasters. Period.

Also, they are stupid beyond belief to do it in LOS or SE Asia in general.

Sure, I have my reservations about the LOS justice system and many others but there are so many arseholes in LOS doing drugs that I am surprised more are not caught. I have bounced more than one out of my bars, I have sacked more than one girl for being involved with drugs and whether people like it or not, Thailand has its laws. In my bars, I am the law.

T said

'All druggies are wasters. Period.'

Your hypocrisy is astounding.

Have you considered that as a barowner you sell a drug (alcohol) that casues more harm and damage to society than all the illicit drugs combined.

The fact is that alcohol just happens to be a legal drug.

Archived