Explorer error...

Old Hippie

SC .......... his Windows Explorer has nothing to do with his Internet Explorer browser. Totally different systems ......... only thing in common is the word 'explorer'. and that they both work with the Windows Operating System.

And if you want a clean machine, the first thing you do is DUMP all the restore points as that is where the viruses and spyware hole up as it is a protected area. (VERY dumb Windows mistake) Then you clean it. You can put back restore points AFTER the system is perfectly clean. Otherwise you are just chasing your tail.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.k. I did a system restore, which knocked out the ICVQ installation. I Then reloaded ICQ, and all seems to work fine now! So once again all is well in my little world, and the quest to meet Thai babes on line has once again resumed! Branching out to Japan, Cambodia and Laos as well, sent out over 50 solicitations...got back 2 replies...guess there are a lot of Lesbos on ICQ...? :dunno:

keekwai said:

Can you recommend a way to permanently remove the DSO exploit Spybot can't remove?

Easy ......... open the pathway that Spybot shows (details)

DSO is in 1 to 5 registry settings ...........

Open the command promt>

Type >regedit

Registry will open

expand (click on + sign) as follows

Hkey_users >

default>

software>

microsoft>

windows>

zones>

zone0

here you will find an entry names 1004

click on it and delete it

now return to hkey_users>

click on each of the S-I-5 numbers 18 through 21 and perform the same steps as you just did for the 'default' setting above.

There are at the most 5 entries (default/18/19/20/21) but as few as one depending on how long since you installed XP.

Once they (zone0>1004s) are deleted you are free of the DSO exploit.

enjoy now, without Big Bill (opps Brother) following you. :up:

NOTE: they may be easier ways to do this, but this one WORKS ! Better solutions are always welcome :bow:

one registry item down, only 60,000 more to go. :banghead:

Boo, they can't 'fix' it because Windows does not allow that entry to be deleted except manually. There are others that can only be deleted in Safe Mode. :banghead: M$ protects its own registry enties with great tenacity.

Fair enough with Windows Explorer as I first thought OH meant his browser...if your last Resore Point was fault-free and reasonably recent then restoring to this mark does the repair job for most average joes without too much technical pc knowledge just dandy ...as OH has just recently stated it did...I have four "Registry Cleaner/Repair" type of software on my own machine, five if you count an old version of MS Regclean...two are extremely difficult to use and delete too many still required reg entries, the other three will run a safe registry clean and/or repair on default settings without any drama...and deleting a previously fine Restore Point first wouldn't be my advice to someone who might not be able to salvage the situation by any other means other than using a Restore Point...

It's alway salvagable with a windows 'repair' or reinstall.

Just seen too many waste many hours (self included) to have a trojan re-emerge as it was hidden in the 'restore files' and therefore undeletable. Timewise I can do a reinstall much quicker and be assured of fixing all the registry items.

Different approaches for different people i guess. I just really hate having a client call several days later and inform me that the $$ they spent and the hours I put in 'cleaning' their machine were wasted.

If you are willing to tweak forever, then that's OK, some even enjoy that stuff.

Thanks for the info and Boo Radley for the link. I ended up changing the dword value instead of deleting the 1004 entry. Seems to work fine Spybot no longer turns up the DSO exploit.

Boo, I like the use of the thumbnail images (click to enlarge) on the site you recommended. It would be cool if there were a similar option available here.

Archived