Explorer error...

Old Hippie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you?re talking about Windows Explorer you might want to check Event Viewer under Control Panel>Administrative tools it might give an idea as to what's going on.

The slick, free utility XPAntiSpy will help disable sending error reports but it sounds like you have a problem that needs fixin.

Kinda sounds like a minor corruption of an operating system file OH, as someone has said, start with the obvious and run spyware/trojan removers firstly to eliminate that possibility, run a basic registry cleaner to trim down the registry of acumulated crap, do a basic re-check of your browser settings to see all is ok, reboot and see what happens. Maintaining a recent System Restore Point is always handy in these annoying scenarios and can often prove a quick way out. And also make sure that you have at least 1gb of free hard disc space left, if you are getting squeezed on mb's then Windoze starts giving these types of errors. :beer:

Thinking about it all now, I think it started when or just after I installed ICQ...no idea why it would do this, but this machine (P4 1.8ghz) runs weird when I add new stuff...more RAM needed maybe? No ideas, driving me nuts...happens when ever I close a web sight window...

dddave said:

What is a "basic registry cleaner" and is this something an unskilled computer user should attempt?

Thanks,

David

No such animal .......... there are ones that can delete duplicates and bad items, but none that can tell it the entry is wanted or not.

Most virus programs can't even delete registry items, although they say they have.

Example:....... run Spybot, good program. It will say you have Spyware in your registry ..... called "DSO EXPLOIT" True enough you probably do. It's a tracker, seeing where you shop ........ installed by............. M$ when you install WindowsXP. Cute eh?

So you tell Spybot to delete it, it say it did. BUT IT LIED ! It can't delete it because Windows has it protected. You MUST take it out manually.

Many reg entries are necessary to make Windows and all other programs work correctly and interact, then there are all the ones that are left behind when you delete a program, or upgrade it. But NO cleaner program knows which is which.

Then there are all the ones that are added Spyware and Malware and Viruses, some are self replicating, self cloning, or hidden in protected areas, then there are ......... well you get the point.

If your registry is truly screwed up, then a reinstall of the OS and the programs is the only 'real' solution. (Despite what the guys wanting your $39.95 will tell you :banghead:) Of course you could spend a bit of time learning about the 65,000+ registry entries and do it all by hand. Or call me :) my fees are low. :neeneer:

Archived