Time elapsed between eating and the shits?

MaiLuk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BelgianBoy said:

Mailuk,

And do keep the Imodium handy :p

BB

bad idea.

immodium is an emergency med, and should be treated that way, meaning that it is used to keep your fluids and electrolytes in until you can get to a doctor, such as while travelling, or while in areas without hospitals.

the problem with immodium is that it actually does not "heal" anything. if, like in 99% of the cases the shits are nothing serious, immodium does no harm, but no med other than a regular supply of electrolytes (or if not available, drink a glass of warm water with one spoon of salt and three spoons of sugar) and a slight change of diet will do the job as well (certain fruits such as ripe pappaya have enormous intestal cleaning properties).

the one percent where you might have some major bug immodium can lead you into false security, and while you don't have to go to the toilet the bug can spread freely and cause serious harm.

a general rule is: if the shits are not too heavy, no blood or worm parts in your stool, no extreme loos of fluids, you should wait for three days. if it hasn't cleared up by then - get a proper stool test.

-blood and mucus in the stool can be amoebic disentry (potentially fatal if delayed), also signified by bouts of several days of diarhia changing with several days off. if not treated properly the amoeba can move to other intestines such as heart and lungs.

-blood and whitish parts can be worms

-sulphur smelling shits and burps is generally guardia

-watery foul smelling shits, and often vomiting, fever, can be bactrial dysentry. generally goes by itself. only in a heavy case one can die from the loss of body liquid. but you will know if it is heavy - within a day or so you have lost so much energy that you cannot walk anymore.

most cases of diarria are actually only a sign of the intestines getting used to new bacteria, and overkill with meds are more harm than use.

MaiLuk said:

..<snip>..Had a case of the runs tonight at 9pm......10am - ate left over salmon from the night before, I had refrigerated it right after I got home...2pm - slice of left over pizza from the day before This pizza was refrigerated shortly after it was delivered from the pizza place yesterday....6pm - Burger at a restaurant with fries...8:30pm - ice cream from an ice cream shop ...9pm - mad dash for the toilet

***One yet to be mentioned and very important consideration when storing leftovers is _not_ to place them in the refrigerator when they are still warm. Let them cool down before storing, otherwise any bacteria may remain or continue to multiply.

I too would suspect the salmon, except the time lag was likely too long between consumption and diarrhea. Usually with bad seafood, stomach problems can occur within a few hours. Maybe it was lettuce/tomato on the burger?

Back in my town of Newcastle, we produce men (and most likely women) with iron stomachs.

Pissed, go for a curry. Order far too much and more lager. Doggie bag to take away. Put on plate, leave out on table overnight. Next morning, warm up under grill and have with a beer in front of the telly, with soggy keema nan and soft poppadums. Never ill once.

Pharcyde said:

You sound like you have had the shits more than once, fly.

yeps, all from personal experience. ::

i have had a year or so here in asia where i got almost everything. started with amoebic dysentry. the meds i had to take for that cleaned up almost everything off the intestines, including the useful bacteria. and that started the cycle. was careless, and got straight away heavy bacterial dysentry, more amoeba, worms, etc.

took a long time before i got all my bacteria up again. for at least a year i could not hold anything too oily or fat.

nowadays i can go almost everywhere in asia, don't need to care about clean water.

my personal theory is, that we westerners grew up with far cleaner environment, and from childhood onwards we had so been able to get a far better overall immune systhem.

when we come here to asia initially we will have to go through lots of adaptation to the different bugs, but in the end can ward off the bad stuff easier then locals once we allowed our intestines to get used to the bacteria.

that way i think it is a serious mistake to take meds at the smallest intestal infections. it stops our intestines to get used to the different bacteria here. meds should only be taken for the heavy stuff where there is no adaption possibe, such as amoeba, worms, or guardia.

a good way to built up useful bacteria is to try to eat in a new place locally (!) produced joghurt. every area in asia has different bacteria, the more you get around the more you built up your store of bacteria.

important to know is also that the effects of dehydration can be far more dangerous than getting a bug from drinking dirty water. you might come to areas where clean, bottled water simply is not available, and there is no time to wait until iodine has killed off everything (takes about half an hour, and over prolongued periods is not too healthy either). you gotta take the risk, otherwise dehydration can do very bad things to you. one common effect of dehydration in this climate here is that christals can build up in your kidney, similar to kidney stones, and have to pass down the tubes. that is unbelievably painful, very, very bad (had that problem once).

Hi Boo,

it's still working - no Montezuma's revenge for me after taking the vaccine in the beginning of this year and now 4 trips to LOS later I just recommend it. Dukoral and several others are working exactly the same.

::

elef

Archived