Recording TV Programs to a PC Hard Drive

Hamokhamok

Thank you all for the replies.

I will need to study my options but it seems complicated to me.

I have, non digital, cable (digital is available but I haven't got it).

Will look at the suggestions made and see what I come up with.

My main concern is I'm pissed off with the bad quality of VHS tapes. Anyway it seems they will sooner than later be phased out.

I would like to record programmes, look at them and then if needs be, save them to DVD for future use.

Regards and thanks again.

Ok ,

you have analog cable. Then I think of three options.

- video card that includes a TV tuner. This is an option if you are looking for a new video card anyway or if you can't add more PCI cards. Some are bundled with remote control and breakout boxes and other stuff.

- a TV card is more flexible (like putting it in another computer or hanging on to it while adding a new video card). If you look for hardware-MPEG you will need a TV card (at a price, the cheap ones are with software MPEG). Some are bundled with remote control and breakout boxes and other stuff.

- Also available are external TV boxes which connect to the USB2.0 ports.

Why not buy an off the shelf HDD/DVD recorder? Just plug it in between your SAT receiver and your TV and you can record anything to the hard drive and then dump to DVD if you want to keep. You can also pause the live program if you need to go for a crap/beer/phone call.

Another nifty thing is the pocket recorder/viewer from Archos. You can dump movies from DVD player or TV and it will convert to MP4 format on the fly. The 80Gb version can hold heaps of full length movies of DVD quality. Great little thing that makes the bus trip from BKK to Pattaya seem like 5min.

Both units retail for just over Baht 30,000 in BKK.

http://www.archos.com

Why not buy an off the shelf HDD/DVD recorder? Just plug it in between your SAT receiver and your TV and you can record anything to the hard drive and then dump to DVD if you want to keep.

Is this also an ARCHOS item ???

Sounds like what I want. Something simple to install and use.

PM me if you wish with the details. Thanks.

Hamokhamok, just search the web for HDD DVD recorder, all the big manufacturers like Samsung, Toshiba and and Phillips make these units.

The Archos is only a HDD recording/displaying device. You could record with this then just plug it in to your PC (USB) and burn a DVD/VCD of the movie you would like to keep.

MP4 may technically not be DVD quality but I record high quality on my Archos and when playing back on a 30" TV there is no difference what so ever between watching the MP4 file or watching direct from the DVD player.

Archived