AIDS stats take some believing.

pe7e

The following passage is taken from the Pattaya Mail this week, the section regarding school children takes a bit of believing, what do you think Fly.

"Statistics show a significant decrease of AIDS in bar girls due to an increase in condom use for their services. Service girls are now insisting that their clients use condoms for mutual protection.

Currently the numbers of increasing AIDS patients are in the housewife group because of divorce and cheating spouses. However, the highest numbers of AIDS patients are of school age , because although they are sexually active they ignore safe sex practices. Frequent changes of sex partners are also a main cause for the spread of AIDS."

Just took a quick look at the current Pattaya Mail and could not find the article that this was taken from. Did it include any references to statistical evidence to back up these claims?

Without the back up this report would have to be viewed as a combination of wishful thinking regarding the bar girls and urban myth regarding the housewives and school children. :dunno:

the rise of the new infection rate in schoolkids is true, from what i have heard. and i believe that since a year or so lots of funds are put into awareness campaigns for that particular group.

i don't really agree with the common reasoning about the housewifes. i believe it's a bit different. it's awfully PC to blame the cheating husbands, but not logical.

i do extrapolate here on my anecdotal evidence of sexual behavior from the villages i know. the biggest flaw of that argument is, IMHO, the notion that wifes are not straying, and hae never been prositutes.

reality though is that many women have been prostitutes before returning to their villages and marrying some bloke there, and in fact infecting their husbands (i know personally of more cases that way than the commonly accepted reason). and women are as prone nowadays to have a fling as men, even in the villages.

and the statitics do not show a decrease in "bargirls" parcticularly, but in commercial sexworkers, out of which bargirls are just a small percentage.

the condom use in brothels and massage parlours has increased tremedously, places where statsistics are relatively easy to do, and condom policies are easier to follow. but anecdotal evidence (again... ;) ) suggests to me that not really much has changed in the behavior of bargirls (and their farang customers) in the farang oriented sector during the years i have been here.

It's often said on the radio (UK) that women are more at risk anatomically of catching HIV than men are. So rates of sexual activity amongst the female popuation could be lower whilst leading to relatively high infection rates. I don't know though, so much seems like guesswork.-peter

that is true.

and from anecdotal evidence, ranging from villages to normal kids in bangkok, i do not really see much less sexual activity in girls than boys. the sexual revolution has reached thailand's youth quite a while ago already.

it is well known that most new AIDS cases in Thaland are teenagers, nothing new about this

Teenagers now start having sex at age 13 - 15 (there still are those 24 y.o. virgins, but the others just laugh at them).

Not using a condom is considered a sign of trust. Using a condom means you think your partner is f ucking around (which is probably true) - condoms are associated with prostitution. Contraception is usually done by the morning-after pill which is available 24 hours from the drugstores in the areas where students live.

Archived