Does one ever learn to use the quantifiers?

I'm talking about those silly words one has to use with numbers, as in "Farang haa khon." In addition, one has to use them when referring to specific instances, as in "Farang khon nee."

Amazingly, I seem to remember to use khon, and to use it correctly. But when talking about other types of objects, say CDs, fruits, towels, etc., I usually don't even remember that I should use a quantifier. Of course, even if I did remember, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what's a quantifier for fruits. And the quantifier is probably different for strawberries from the one used for thurian or clusters of grapes.

My strategy up to this point has been to simply ignore the issue, but I am beginning to hear that it just sounds wrong to say "soong paa-chet-tua" or "paa-chet-tua nee." I'd like to do something about it, but of all aspects of the Thai language, this one seems the most daunting.

Does a Thai learner ever acquire the feel for correct usage of quantifiers? And how does it happen? By osmosis or does one have to make special effort to learn it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
limbo said:

Hi MadMax,

This has been discussed not too long and somebody posted an extensive list of qualifiers.

Try a quick search, it's probably not too deep buried yet.

I have many of these lists. My question was not about the specific quantifiers, but about the learning process.

>>>but I am beginning to hear that it just sounds wrong to say "soong paa-chet-tua" or "paa-chet-tua nee."<<<

sounds not just wrong, but more like complete garble.

>>>>By osmosis or does one have to make special effort to learn it?<<<

whatever your preferred learning method is. but it has to come natural in the end.

[color:"red"]whatever your preferred learning method is. but it has to come natural in the end.

[/color]

Not really Fly, even some Thais use "an" for EVERYTHING ::

I find the quantifiers very difficult for people, for example for eggs, the correct word is "fong" and I feel the word "look" is just fine, why so complicated? Being a Thai born, I am embarassed to say so. :o

Jasmine

Archived