Issan tawan daeng style

yfs

Whereas I have been out to Issan tawan daeng on a few occasions, I was wondering if there are any clubs that have the same style of performance

(ie: house band with changing performers) for pop music. In Chiang Mai, I found a place next to Bubbles disco, but I don't have a clue if BKK has one. Anybody know?

Colosseum, sorta. There is some stand-up comedy mixed in with the pop-music. It's on Sukh, right hand side, before you get to Ekamai. Taxi drivers should know where it is; the hard part is to pronounce it the Thai way so that a cabbie will understand you.

When you say Tawandaeng Issan, I presume you mean the one out Ratchada way. If you haven't been to Tawandaeng on Rama 3 (Palam Sahm to the taxi drivers), it is much larger and the music is more standard Thai with about 20 percent western. The band is also better.

Another venue is Gung Pao on Ratchada, The Sign is a BIG SHRIMP. Same setup as Coliseum, about 3 bands with comedy and jokes with the audience. They also have a katoey show (or used to) at a theater near by. Both the places I mentioned have excellent inexpensive food.

Go early to Tawandaeng on Rama 3 or you will get a lousy seat, it is always jammed. Gung Pao is pretty empty until about 10:30 to 11:00 then it starts to fill up. They used to frisk everyone going in there except farangs.

"...Another venue is Gung Pao on Ratchada, The Sign is a BIG SHRIMP. Same setup as Coliseum, about 3 bands with comedy and jokes with the audience. They also have a katoey show (or used to) at a theater near by. Both the places I mentioned have excellent inexpensive food..."

I wouldn't call Kung Pao cheap at all, but I guess depends on what you order. I ate there last week, the Katoey show is in the theater next door. After the show, the cast comes out to wave goodbye to the customers, and then parade through the restaurants...

In Pattaya, a fairly new place is 'Tawan Chao', which fits your request. Located just north of Pattaya Tai (South Rd), on Soi Bong Kot (sp?). Bong Kot is about half way between 2nd & 3rd Rds. Sign is in Thai. Place is on left about 100m north of Pattaya Tai.

yfsman said:

Whereas I have been out to Issan tawan daeng on a few occasions, I was wondering if there are any clubs that have the same style of performance (ie: house band with changing performers) for pop music.

Archived