Loxinfo blocking Thai nightlife sites

Bad news for expats using this Thai ISP, according to Stickman and others posting on Nanapong this site and other Thai nightlife sites are no longer accessible via Loxinfo. Other ISPs are not affected yet.

It seems Thaksin is making things more and more difficult for foreigners. As loxinfo is apparently solely a Thai company they can be bullied into blocking access to blacklisted sites such as nanaplaza.

I'm sure those affected will be able to check in eventually through internet cafes to let us know the score. It's not looking good though, the whole anti-foreigner drive right now is worrying. I really hope it blows over but I'm not sure it will at all.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Rockhard Web:

Local access to many of the entertainment websites like NanaPong.com, Stickman etc were BLOCKED by filters on ISP's such as Loxinfo. It affects sites hosted overseas as well as those hosted in Thailand. It (so far) has not affected RockHardPhuket.com This order apparently came from "way high" so look for more ramifications in the coming days!!

If true this is VERY alarming!

Censorship is the beginning of tryanny. This is the kind of garbage you'd expect from China not Thailand (supposedly the land of the "free").

DB, at times a little paranoia is perhaps a good thing. Let's just say, for arguments sake, that there IS a directive to knock over / block / whatever such sites, then would it not be wise for the people who run those sites to act in a prudent manner? I was on the phone with Khun Sanuk and one of the guys from Nanapong last night and while everything both was and still is very unclear, if it transpires that there is some sort of directive (as unlikely as it may seem), then a number of sites are going to vanish - something NONE of us want!

There IS paranoia in the air with all that has been happening in the press recently (foreigners deported and blacklisted / a number of people convicted to be executed and even a person who had applied for Thai citizenship having their citizenship revoked after 16 years!) - all of this contributing to a fair amount of anxiety.

I hope it all turns out to be a completely false alarm, but last night (local BKK time) especially it did seem to be remarklably suspicious. BTW, I'm not accessing the net via a Loxinfo connection so do not know how things are with Lox and co.

BTW, about 2 - 3 weeks ago, there were problems accessing this very message board for Loxinfo users. Related or not, I don't know.

Stick

I use different ISPs. A few minutes ago I couldn't access Nanaplaza (other than the starting page) via Loxinfo, so I switched to Pacific Internet, and it works.

What the fuck is going on???

Now, this may be a technical snitch, but if the suspicions turn out to be true, Loxinfo should of course be rewarded with a boycott. There are plenty of other providers around these days. But what about CS? Isn't that a Thaksin-owned provider? Or government-owned Inet? Wouldn't they be blocking Nanaplaza et al. in the first instance?

Anybody know more than computer-semi-literate me?

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Hi dbsa, thanks for the lengthy explanation. "Clear as mud", yes, very thick mud indeed that I'll have to wade through one more time.

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

"There's slowness loading the message board, yes, I see it, too. But the front page of the main site, as well as the guest's content area all load normally."

In my case, I got the message "This page cannot be displayed" every time I tried to go beyond the starting page. There was no problem with any other website.

I think I'll have to buy myself a book on internet technology.

Cheers, SB

I use loxinfo and had a bunch of trouble getting here. I did get here, though. I had to hit refresh several times, but it worked. It supports the idea that it is just a technical problem.

There is something in the air, though, that warrants observation. From the enforcement of the 2:00 AM closings, which don't appear to have an end in sight, to recent events in the newspapers, there is an element of change that many seem to sense. What that change might actually be is anybody's guess.

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: kohchaiBKK ]

Archived