Loxinfo blocking Thai nightlife sites

I had big problems getting to this site yesterday afternoon. Pages would just partially load, or get other errors. No outright blocking though. I had similar problems on other sites too, but for some reason not all sites. Dunno what ISP they used. I just went to another internet cafe and the access was fine.

Had the same kind of problems this morning. I suspect the ISP is having technical problems.

No problems where I am now either. Just asked the manager and they use Loxinfo. (Although it's DSL, not dialup)

This info is BS.

quote:

Originally posted by DJ1999J:

Bad news for expats using this Thai ISP, according to Stickman and others posting on Nanapong this site and other Thai nightlife sites are no longer accessible via Loxinfo. Other ISPs are not affected yet.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

Perhaps we are seeing a slowdown due to the code red worm. I get Nanaplaza just fine right now but Hotmail is down for the first time in six months or so. Some other sites I get government info from are really slow now as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Kaiser99:

If true this is VERY alarming!

Censorship is the beginning of tryanny. This is the kind of garbage you'd expect from China not Thailand (supposedly the land of the "free").

they meant Land of the free-loading. Up until 92, thailand was a fake democracy, and then it just was simply on sale in local elections. Censorship is not a new thing, it 's a very old thing in SEA.

I agree with the fellow who says that if thais want to start enforcing laws that already exist,fairly or unfairly (like the2am), it's their business and not much of a tyranny at work. If your situation or happiness is put off balance by the enforcement of a few laws, may i question how sound are the foundations of your moving to LOS? Like you,i'd be annoyed if, for example, pattaya was to close at 2am, but that would be for selfish reasons of my own, and nothing to do with opposing or fearing tyranny. IMO

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

I use Loxinfo at home and at work. Khun Sanuk and I confirmed this AM that most of the Thai nightlife sites, including this one were unaccessible.

I sent an email to the Loxinfo Help Desk asking if they have blocked any websites. They came back immediately asking for an example. I gave them www.nanaplaza.com.

A delay for six hours. I sent them another email telling them I was thinking of canceling both accounts with Loxinfo.

They came back with an email saying the website I mentioned was accessible.

They were right.

For now.

Hi,

I am kinda with Stickman on this. Even though I am fairly certain that this was a technical problem, I have to admit I did not sleep as well last night as I usually do.

And it does feel something fishy is going on.

As db mentioned, if the powers that be have dirt on me then shutting this site down won't do me much good, but a little paranoia (like not using my real name here for instance) can't hurt.

Sanuk!

Just to obfuscate matters further, KSC has been a mess all day also. Not only Nanaplaza.com but the rest of the web as well. I'm still timing out on Hotmail. High volume sites like CNN and Excite were better but still timed out a lot. Couldn't work on the net much until an hour ago so it looks like I'll be working late....So why am I farting around here? Because I like it here!

And incidentally, the foreigners being deported bilked other foreigners out of $150,000,000....the death sentences are Thais convicted of serious crimes like murder and drug dealing (don't agree with the death penalty, but they have it in the good ol USofA also) and the guy who had his citizenship revoked was a Korean (I think) master criminal guilty of all kinds of crimes in Thailand (sort of like Lucky Luciano, a naturalized American Citizen) being deported back to Italy from the USA.

Thailand has come a long way since they a few years ago when they sent somebody to the US to talk to Microsoft to find out who was in charge of the internet so they could get TSM thrown off the internet.

When Pete set up the FLB website he wouldn't accept anyone with a thai email address. if any expats wanted access it had to be done through hotmail, yahoo or AOL.

If this is true then im sure Pete will be thanking his lucky stars for this discision as he was scared vof becoming another Bruce of TSM fame.

Well if we are going for conspiracy theory there was an article that the police would be looking at activities/use of computers in internet cafes.

Also some of the threads do show the authorities in a bad light.

Next time you find it slow connecting try connecting to a site like anonymizer.com and then enter the message board url in for private browsing and see how you get on.

Just a thought.

Archived