Loxinfo blocking Thai nightlife sites

Hi,

asiahand said:

"When Pete set up the FLB website he wouldn't accept anyone with a thai email address. if any expats wanted access it had to be done through hotmail, yahoo or AOL."

What difference does that make. A Thai can just as easily setup a free email account.

Sanuk!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use CS internet and have had no problems, apart from being unable to access Hotmail for a day or two, and a general slowing down , which is nothing new for CS.

I may be completely wrong but i was under the impression that CS was part of Shin Corp, Thaksins little empire. I would have thought that if that was the case then if things were going to be made difficult that is where he would start.

We do live in changing times. I know the owner of well known hotel that has it's own website was arrested, in jail for 4 days until he paid 1 million baht in bail money. His crime was cyber prostitution.

I followed the site and can tell you there was no mention of prostitution anywhere on the site.

I also know the operator of another board has now completely blocked all access to it.

I agree we shouldn't all become paranoid but I do know some people are just a little concerned.

I have to say though that I would be very sorry to see to any more sites disappear and I think that would be very bad for the sanuk/ex-pat community.

Let's just hope it's all a storm in a tea cup.

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

asiahand said:

"When Pete set up the FLB website he wouldn't accept anyone with a thai email address. if any expats wanted access it had to be done through hotmail, yahoo or AOL."

What difference does that make. A Thai can just as easily setup a free email account.

Sanuk!

NO, Pete does NOT give you access from ANY free email account anywhere on the planet.

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

We do live in changing times. I know the owner of well known hotel that has it's own website was arrested, in jail for 4 days until he paid 1 million baht in bail money. His crime was cyber prostitution.

I followed the site and can tell you there was no mention of prostitution anywhere on the site.cup.

Hardly a sign of changing times. This kind of flagrant system corruption is a constant in thai life. Cyber or not cyber, any excuse is good. Indeed, the fact that the owner did not do any cyber-prostitution but agreed to pay means that he know how the system works in his own country. BTW, did he forget to give that little baht enveloppe last month? 1 million will hopefully buy him protection or peace for a few months.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

I know it will not make much difference but closing down the nightlife sites run openly (well nearly) by residence could backfire.

Sites run strictly off shore with no connectable Thialnd residence would not care what they posted.

At the moment most sites are aware of Thai attitudes and know how far they can go.

If you are not worried about Thai officials why care. Some of the resultant stories and pictures could do an awful lot of harm, especially to Thai pride!

Peter, FLB is a site based on pattaya with two message boards, one public and is censored and one private and atmittance is only allowed to people known to Pete. He has a bar run by his thai wife in walking street called FLB. short for FreeLancerBar.

The URL is www.freelancerbar.com

Archived