I nearly died in Thailand yesterday

SingaporeSteve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just want to say thanks for the info also.............I am flying to Dublin on Friday and back again next month so it's advice I will take on board.

Good to hear that u are recovering well.

uniformguy

I am glad that you realized what was happening and all factors converged to keep you in this world a bit longer. This board wouldn't be quite the same without you.

Thanks for the head up in both areas: clots while flying (the so-called economy class syndrome, that you may have suffered in first class) and the fact that you diagnosed yourself with web resources more accurately than the first physician.

I guess the most important message I see in your post, is that even someone who is fit and takes appropriate precautions can get this -being alert to the possiblity may save someone's life, or at least part of his brian or lung.

Thank you for the warning.

You did the right thing by taking matters into your own hands and getting to the hospital in Bangkok.

Some of us would have ignored these signs but this is a timely reminder that we should not take our health for granted and we should not let things slide.

i hate those long flights.

usually i prefer to take the flights which have an interuption, they are cheaper, and you can get out and walk round midway (or even spend a night or so in a hotel if the break is longer than 8 hours).

and i can stock up my nicotine levels as well. ;)

Another suggestion from medical professionals is to wear medically approved "support hose", available thru larger pharmacys and home care supply retailers. They are designed for people with vascular problems in their legs.

One would think that Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) would be a major problem with long haul pilots, sitting for 10 to 18 hours at a strech, 2 or 3 times a week. You don't often see them walking around or doing exercises in the cabin.

I did read that they suspect that taller people are more prone to the condition, but there is no conclusive data yet. It makes sense; more distance for the heart to pump the blood. I wonder if laying on the floor with the feet elevated a bit for about 15 minutes would help. They recomended that for my Dad when he had circulation problems.

David

One thing I don't understand is that a lot of people who work with computers (including myself) often spend 8-10 hours a days sitting down, sometimes with as little as 3-4 short breaks. I know it's not healty but I've never heard the same warnings regarding blod clots as I have regarding air travel. Is the risk the same, or is there something about flying that makes it worse?

Archived