Dean's book-banned in Thailand?

Ranger

Just received a note from a friend who has it from a reliable source that Dean Barrett's great new book, Thailand: Land of Beautiful Women has been pulled from the shelves of the local book stores.

The story is that a "high-ranking military official" saw the book while browsing at a local Asia Books and was displeased that the pictures of bar girls and proper Thai girls were together in one book.

One phone call later and the books were quickly pulled from the shelves.

The timing couldn't be worse as the senile old fool, Trink, reviewed the book in todays Bangkok Post. Mixed review as he seems to think Dean included too many less than beautiful girls. To me, this was part of the charm of the book. It would have been real easy to fill the pages with "stunners", but Dean captured the beauty of all Thai women by including so many plain or ordinary looking girls who are beautiful in their own right.

I hope this rumor is not true or if it is, the decision can be reversed. If not, maybe Dean can have weekly book signings?

Ranger

quote:

Originally posted by Ranger:
. I hope this rumor is not true or if it is, the decision can be reversed. If not, maybe Dean can have weekly book signings? Ranger

If it is true then it must have happened as of today (Friday) as I saw the aforementioned book on the shelves in a couple of different bookshops yesterday.

Roger

About two weeks ago I stopped in the Texas bar in Washington Square while waiting for the show at Mambo to start. Dean was in there selling his book-picked one up for 400 bahts. After the show, I got corralled by a bunch of ladyboys who all wanted to see and admire their pictures in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

last Friday I tried to buy the book in Asia Books (Landmark) - no, they didn't sell the book because 'is not nice', but the girls said try Bookazine opposite side of Sukhumvit Rd.

Two proud sellers (men) in that shop sold it for 795.

Sunday evening I saw the book in BKK airport - price 1200.

elef crazy.gif" border="0

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

I saw a copy of the book in a rack at a book stall in the centre of Asok BTS yesterday ....guess what the company name at the top of that particular rack was?

Any prize from the top shelf for those that guessed correctly 'Asia Books'.

flash,

i wonder what the guy did in the 10 years or so he claimed to have spent in the palace. he is a historians nightmare, had the incredible, unique opportunity to be so closed to one of the worlds most secretive royal families, and writes a thin booklet full of platitudes, gossip and unproven conspiracy theories in a patronising tone which made me throw up.

nobody ever will have that chance again, what a loss for world history.

quote:

HM the King's bio is simply unbelievAble -- gross mistAkes on every page.

p.s. My keyboArd is effed up!

Effed up? Looks like it's A'ed up to me. tongue.gif" border="0

Just be glad it's not E'ed up. wink.gif" border="0

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: del_boy ]

Archived