If the fare is 5 baht why do we pay 10 baht?

UG,

When I lived in Thailand and visited Pattaya monthly, I would always pay 5B just on principle. Most times there were no troubles, although I was always mindful to quickly hand exact change and even more quickly walk the opposite direction. Out of many hundreds of trips, I did have several vary nasty confrontations. A couple of times I was threatened with bodily harm. These kind of things can spoil your mood for the rest of the day!

Now that I'm on holiday and just looking to have a good time, I just pay the 10B and don't worry about it. Life's too short to worry about 5B!!

Ranger

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow guys, why is that when we we choose to scrimp and save a few bob we start with one of the lowest members on the food chain?

So lads what do you do when you buy a lady drink for a staggering 130 baht, and the bird has one sip and buggers off never to return? Do you insist on a refund for your hard-earned cash, or settle for 120 baht (she had a sip afterall)? I mean hey, that's 24 plus rides on a baht bus, right? Or do you write that one off under 'expenses?'

And what about the GoGo starlet who agrees to 2000 LT but pisses off after ST, do you only give her 500? Prorata it on an hour basis and settle for 388 baht? I don't think so...

For all of you 5-bahters out there, beware that one day, when one driver can't make his rent, fuel costs, etc., he may just take out his frustrations on you head with the 4X4 under the driver's seat.

It's happens regularly. Is it worth it???

Perhaps you should stick to walking.

Merry Christmas.

Anyone need any spare change??? ::

So lads what do you do when you buy a lady drink for a staggering 130 baht, and the bird has one sip and buggers off never to return? Do you insist on a refund for your hard-earned cash, or settle for 120 baht (she had a sip afterall)? I mean hey, that's 24 plus rides on a baht bus, right? Or do you write that one off under 'expenses?'

You can always finish her drink, no ?

BB

:beer:

Roppongi said:

For all of you 5-bahters out there, beware that one day, when one driver can't make his rent, fuel costs, etc., he may just take out his frustrations on you head with the 4X4 under the driver's seat.

For me it's a matter of princple. If they start charging 20 Baht [color:"red"] to everyone[/color], I will pay 20 Baht without blinking an eye. When they try to charge me more because of my skin color, I will do my best to avoid it.

Roppongi said:

Max is quite right it's not the amount but the principle that's important. Why do you think that these baht bus drivers are all poor frustrated souls who barely cover costs? I am pretty confident that by thai standards they do quite nicely-peter

We all know it's the principal but is it really worth the potential showdown?

And do you apply the same principals to all aspects of life in Thailand, i.e. girls, drinks, food, hotels, etc?

I've got to know a few drivers over the years and while some make a decent living, many struggle to get by due to fuel costs, competition, etc.

Give 'em a break, there's bigger fish to fry.

I always pay 10baht.

All those guys saying it is a question of principle blah blah are nothing more than cheap charlies.

10baht is cheap when you consider the price of petrol these days.

Making a stand over 5 baht just marks you as a stingy bugger in my books.

You should look it at it from the perspective of you can afford it and you are happy to pay it.

Guys are spending from 4000 to 10000 baht a day whilst in Pattaya and they are going to start talking about the principle of paying 5 baht instead of 10.

Gimme a break.

"10baht is cheap when you consider the price of petrol these days."

True.

"All those guys saying it is a question of principle blah blah are nothing more than cheap charlies."

Nonsense.

There's more to it if you just pay more attention to what you read.

However, I wouldn't feel bad paying 10 baht because of the reason you mentioned above regardless what others are paying.

Now if I think it's too much for the actual service (whatever it may be) and others pay a lower price then I get pissed regardless the amount.

It's quite laughable when one doesn't look at the picture from a financial point of view (unlike you) and still gets labelled cheap charlie :)

I pretty much do the same as Ranger. Just give then 5 baht for short trips usually only a few blocks like going from Royal Garden back to the Lek or Soi Dianna. If I go from Walking Street down to Sabai Land/Big C area, it is 10 baht. But the night time increase in fare is not intended to rip off Farangs, it is even the same for Thai's as well. Rven up in Udon Thani, the Song Taew drivers have a higher rate for riders in the evening hours, about 6 pm.

ZMAN Z28

Archived