Fox news is Bull

Why is it that almost all of the news coverage we are getting in the US is centered around Thailand as the story line? Thailand is calculating only 2000 dead and nowhere near the devastation of Indonesia and Sri lanka, yet they seem to be receiving the majority of the press coverage.

I think it has something to do with where it is easier to place a news team and have reliable communications.

In the end I hope this does not come down to a situation where the haves get the bulk of the economic and disaster aid and the have nots get the scraps.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Why is it that almost all of the news coverage we are getting in the US is centered around Thailand as the story line? Thailand is calculating only 2000 dead and nowhere near the devastation of Indonesia and Sri lanka, yet they seem to be receiving the majority of the press coverage.<<<

Because that is all they know. Phuket is easy access. Took them (US reporters) 3 days, to just get their head out of their asses and see this for what it is. Indonesia is where the main losses lay. But they don't have easy access to many parts there, along with everyone else. Just heard count went up to 80,000, from what they are finally finding there now.

Seems as though everyone is making Thailand their home base, for investigations. The ease of getting there, has a lot to do with it, I guess, along with the Thai's generosity in opening up military bases for transfers of outgoing relief packages.

Indonesia is pretty remote. Thousands of islands there. It's going to take a long while to determine true damages there, and the real exstent of loss of life.

HT

Agreeed....They were talking Patong with Sri Lanka dead boeies in the backround. I will have to admire that the Brit Steven formally of BBC ASIA got it right on how to say Phang Nga....some equal oppertunity employment moron called it Phanga-Na. OH yeah! They again said that Phuket has 10,000 miles of coast......I guess I get beamed across Phuket from the airport to Patong in 30 min!

I agree, many news orginizations will not do the work needed to pass on factual information. Fox is probably the worst offender. It seems as though they just make things up. Oh wait, they do! Remember these where the guys that fronted for the propaganda machine in the run up to the US election. Swift boat vets, flip flop, ad-nausiam. Why would we expect them to report with any degree of truth this time out. I did notice last night that NBC did have a reporter in Sri Lanka. Actually a fairly experienced one. I agree, I think that LOS gets the attention because it is easy to deal with, and at least some Americans know where it is, and also it is the place where there was most likely American tourists and victims. It is a shame that the areas that are hit the hardest are getting the least attention, but hopefully they will get the international aid they need. Maybe one good thing will come out of this, people will realize that Fox is just a bunch of smoke and mirrors and has nothing to do with news, but only fluff, hype and is nothing more than a mouthpiece for Murdocks personal politics.

>>>>They again said that Phuket has 10,000 miles of coast>>

Hahahaha,

yes...and so many other blunders. You can paint on a face, and fix their hair, but you cannot make them intelligent, if they aren't. ::

HT

jjsushi said:

Why is it that almost all of the news coverage we are getting in the US is centered around Thailand as the story line? Thailand is calculating only 2000 dead and nowhere near the devastation of Indonesia and Sri lanka, yet they seem to be receiving the majority of the press coverage.

CNN has been giving pretty heavy coverage on both Sri Lanka and Indonesia and has one of their top reporters in Aceh, Indonesia right now which is the most devasted area of all (estimates of 55,000 to 80,000 deaths in Aceh alone). I'm sure it took a couple of days to get the crew there.

The coverage from Sri Lanka has been some of the most horrific. Seeing the wreckage of a train with 1000 people aboard torn off it's tracks and tossed like a toy looked like something from a movie. One report said nobody survived and another said at least 800 of the 1000 died.

Ranger

Hi!

This post is not to anyone in particular.

I never thought the day would come when I defended FOX news as I have always regarded it s a pathetic right wing lunatic propaganda channel.

However yesterday they displayed some excellent journalism. A significant part of their news was about some super model. Furthermore this was not just any old supermodel. She had appeared on the first page of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. She apparently survived by holding on to a palm tree.

This is the true hallmark of great journalism to go stright to the essentials and only briefly mention periferal events like 80 000+ dead, none of which have appeared on the first page of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED. In fact most of them have probably never even heard of SPORTS ILLUSTRATED.

Keep up the good work FOX. I wan't to know everything of supermodels.

regards

ALHOLK

CNN has been giving pretty heavy coverage on both Sri Lanka and Indonesia and has one of their top reporters in Aceh, Indonesia right now which is the most devasted area of all (estimates of 55,000 to 80,000 deaths in Aceh alone). I'm sure it took a couple of days to get the crew there.

Why assume something if you dont know ?

BBC, Dutch and French TV had crews in Indonesia since monday and all broadcasted from Acer on tuesday.

The CNN "top reporter" is their business anchorman based in Hong Kong.......

BB

Well at least fox news seemed to have picked up there was some sort of disaster going on in Asia & thus enabled me to get some tv footage throughout the early days as it took the danish news several days to get that far & even host some 'special' programmes outside the normal evening news.

Of course swedish tv has showed me all about the foreign affairs minister her sunday opera visits & how it took her a few days to report into office despite the crisis ::

Archived