DISASTER AVOIDABLE

Hi,

>>>>What is the cost of implementing a warning system to notify citizens of an impending terrorist attack, a tsunami or another natural disaster? NOT MUCH!<<<<

But it is.....very expensive, and such, why hasn't been implemented. It's not the initial costs, but in the maintanance of such.

HT

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffallo Bill, Neo is talking with common sense.

The problem has been known, Thailand, just like other countries were invited to join International warning systems, but declined because of cost. The cost probably should have been picked up by the UN or by richer countries, but it was not done.

Thailand like all the other countries are not part of the network so they did not get proper wanrnings. The Prime Minister said "We need to build a sturdy fence even after the cows have gone". To implement, in any country, sound policies to handle natural disasters, takes well dedicated leaders. I feel the leaders will take action in regards to natural disasters but sadly, after so many have lost their lives.

It seems on the available evidence that is starting to come out that lives could have been saved if information was passed on quickly and acted on quickly.

However, with historical hindsight we always have a better perspective, one that is not available quite often before the fact.

Maybe out of this massive tradegy some systems will be put in place that may minimise fatalities should this sort of thing happen again.

I am not overly confident that this will occur given the extreme unlikelihood of this happening any time in the near future.

Agree with Suadum, this was a once every 100 years freak of nature.

Even here in Japan, with all its warning systems and ugly concrete tripods around harbors and beaches, there still would have been scores of victims.

To put this into perspective, this earthquake was **300** times stronger than the Great Hanshin Earthquake that devastated Kobe!

As for an early warning system, I can just see the local village honcho going to some guy's hut and telling him that although there's no water or electricity, the government has decided to set up a state-of-the-art earthquake/tsunami warning system and after he's scratched up a few bugs to eat, would he mind checking the top of the coconut tree every day to make sure it works. :rolleyes:

I think this 'debate' is similar to the debate I have with some people regarding viruses. Some people insist on having one or more virus protection programs on their computer and others insist that such programs are not needed.

Same arguments follow the same line regarding seat belts, etc.

have to agree with you Roppongi

this event was unusual in the area,first type of event since the 1880's.....i think.

because of the lack of history of this sort of thing i can imagine the Countries involved not putting an early warning system on the top of their 'things to do'.

MightyMouse said:I receive by e-mail every earthquake 5.5 or larger. When I saw the 8.1 quake (between Australia and Antartica) about 1 week before this major earthquake, I felt there was serious concern of a real major earthquake. This should have been the wake up call. Countries should have went to a high level of alert.

Don't hurt yourself thinking too much about this.

If you know something about earthquake prediction that the rest of the scientific world has failed to figure out, please share it. You would be guaranteed the Nobel prize mate.

On the issue of an early warning system, detecting the wave is only a small part of the problem. Having systems to verify the threat (don't want any false alarms do we) and a protocol to notify designated civil authorities must be designed for each specific threat. Then, you must have public education so the public knows what they are being alerted about. Oh, and don't forget some sort of warning system on every beach in SEA.

Neo, stop thinking so hard about it and try to direct your blame into something positive. There are people that get paid a lot of money to figure these things out.

BTW, blame is the ultimate fodder for the media.

Archived