An ACTUAL way to help

itsmedave

As opposed to the government's solution (wear black and don't party...which helps nobody while simultaneously restricting people's freedoms...great job, Thaksin!) I have a way you can actually do something to help the situation.

I work part time at Samitivej Hospital on Sukhomvit, soi 49. They currently have about 100 Westerners who were pulled off the beach in Phuket wearing only a bathing suit. Needless to say, they now have no money to buy clothes and the hospital would like clothing donations for these people so they have something to wear when they leave.

If you have any clothes you don't need (especially trousers) please take them to the hospital (there may be other hospitals who could use the same items) At Samitivej, as go in the main entrance of building one the international office (run by Karen or Sandy) is just to the left. Please take your extra clothing there. And please...as you're driving to the hospital, feel free to wear whatever colors you desire.

Can't wait for his next great idea...by next week we'll probably be dropping thousands of paper birds on the beach!

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea Dave.

I have clothes I haven't worn for ages and I'm sure those could be very useful for others.

I hope I can find the time to drop them off before going upcountry later this week.

I hope you inspired others to donate some of their 'useless' stuff.

As opposed to the government's solution (wear black and don't party...which helps nobody while simultaneously restricting people's freedoms...great job, Thaksin!)

----------------------

was this comment needed? Is this all the thai govnmt is doing? And in such periods of outpouring of help, isn't it the time to realize that indeed, people can "govern" their lives, make decisions, and give without awaiting words of institutions.

Sorry, I wished to comment on routine, re-hashed, negative political snips which i think show one's energy, one's emotions are not totally going towards those in need.

For one or 2 weeks, only, can we stop moralizing or patronizing something, someone, thai?

The reason for the expression "wear black and don't party" is out o frespect for those that died.

Can you imagine having somebody knock on your door at 4:00 AM in the morning asking that the party not make so much noise especially if the person doing the knocking has just arrived and is trying to find some loved ones?

Also, the King's grandson has died. This, for Thai people, is a special time for them.

As guest in this country, we should honor their customs. We do not make fun of them because they do not like us pointing our feet at them, touching their heads etc.

Lets give them and their leaders a little bit.

MM,

Wow Dude, you shock me! I am in 100% agreement here, noting against Its medave, who I love dearly!

Dave,

I might have clotghes here in SFO, but how to send with out Duty? Also, I can wire you some cash and have you buy there, might be cheaper than sending...western Union works well. Cheapest way to send. Let me Know.

Archived