Mailing a Computer into LOS from American Company

Mr Pickles

Hey All-

I want to purchase an Apple computer from Apple directly and was wondering if this is even feasible. Has anyone bought a computer from an American company and had it shipped to them here in Thailand? I'm concerned with having to pay additional money to get it through customs. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Yes they sell the same computers here in Bangkok but they cost about a $1000 dollars more fror the same machine. Apple will ship it for free. A friend of mine had heard that comuters were not subject to customs/import fees?????

Thanks

Hi MrPickles,

I think some years ago Thailand abolished the import tax on computers, but probably you must pay the VAT 7.5 %.

Apple last year promised the thai government to reduce the price on at least one computer but I don't know if that happened yet.

elef

LOL, I have been charged up to 30% duty on documents and on clearly marked product samples with the proper Harmonic Code. You would be better off having a friend bring it in to the country IMHO.

Otherwise, best bet is to have someone (Apple or some friend) ship it via USPS Priority Mail. Why? I have had many issues with FedEx & UPS (DHL unknown) where they just pay the duty and deliver the package to you. Since the duty has been paid, you have no recourse to appeal to customs to get your money back. And if you want your package, you gotta pay FedEx/UPS, etc.

Cheers,

SD

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this and other forums I would not contemplate sending anything from outside or even inside Thailand by regular mail or courier such as FedEx,UPS DHL etc.

The reasons are in the case of Thai Post theft of package and customs duty problems, and in the case of couriers customs duty problems, i.e. they pay whatever is asked of them by customs often huge amounts , and just pass the bill onto you, so you have no recourse, not that I imagine recourse is easy, unless they say, you have a high ranking Thai on your side.

It is also suggested that you send any package to a Thai name and not a farang name, as it is thought farang mail is targeted

Of the four packages I have had sent to Thailand , a plain letter in a dl envelope, some Rx, 2ozs tea tree oil from Australia and a padded envelope with a CD and letter in it, the only one that was delivered or I heard anything more about was the Padded envelope and it was addressed to a Thai.

Remember TiT.

Archived