Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

Everton really misses Gravesen. His loss potentially cost them a CL berth. That's a shame. In the preseason, I watch them(Everton) get their asses kicked by Club America in Mexico City, and to watch them overachieve in the EPL was one of the brightest stories of the season. On that note, I have just cleared my fantasy team of the last remaining Everton player(Carsley)to upgrade my back line with another top notch defender.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its Chelsea's year. I just hope we get 2nd. It would be too much to finish behind Man Yoo. CL the only big compeititon for us. If as expected Gerrard and Adriano (and possibly Ash Cole) come to the Bridge it will be an even tougher side. The Yankees and Lakers proved in the states that you can buy titles. As long as Roman is footing the bill, Chelsea will be contending each season. When or if he leaves, its facing administration for sure. Kenyon talks a good game but I can't find one person outside of the Bridge that thinks they can be financially self sufficient. If they go the PLC route then possibly there's a chance.

Good win for Man Yoo, 'citeh' didn't capitalize on their chances and paid for it. If Anelka had stayed they'd have chances as well.

If Arsenal get to the semis of the CL, beat Chelsea in the league and take the FA cup it'll be some consolation. A CL win would be worth it. I'll take 3rd in the PL any day of the week as a sacrifice if we could win the CL.

I didn't know it was even possible for an English squad to consist of no UK player at all, not even on the bench. Of course reason is due to absence of both key players (Eng.) Soll Campbell and Ashley Cole, but still...

Well, (from the Ducth newspaper) Arsenal wrote history in the match with Crystal Palace by showing up with no Englishman at all both on pitch and bench:

Arsenal squad vs. Crystal Palace:

On pitch: Jens Lehmann (Ger.), Lauren (Cam.), Pascal Cygan (Fra.), Kolo Toure (Ivo.), Clichy (Fra.), Jose Antonio Reyes (Spa.), Patrick Vieira (Fra.), Edu (Bra.), Robert Pires (Fra.), Dennis Bergkamp (Hol.) en Thierry Henry (Fra.).

On bench: Manuel Almunia (Spa.), Philippe Senderos (Swi.), Mathieu Flamini (Fra.), Cesc Fabregas (Spa.) and Robin van Persie (Hol.).

Congratulations Arsenal :)

Zaad said:

I didn't know it was even possible for an English squad to consist of no UK player at all, not even on the bench. Of course reason is due to absence of both key players (Eng.) Soll Campbell and Ashley Cole, but still...

Well, (from the Ducth newspaper) Arsenal wrote history in the match with Crystal Palace by showing up with no Englishman at all both on pitch and bench:

Arsenal squad vs. Crystal Palace:

On pitch: Jens Lehmann (Ger.), Lauren (Cam.), Pascal Cygan (Fra.), Kolo Toure (Ivo.), Clichy (Fra.), Jose Antonio Reyes (Spa.), Patrick Vieira (Fra.), Edu (Bra.), Robert Pires (Fra.), Dennis Bergkamp (Hol.) en Thierry Henry (Fra.).

On bench: Manuel Almunia (Spa.), Philippe Senderos (Swi.), Mathieu Flamini (Fra.), Cesc Fabregas (Spa.) and Robin van Persie (Hol.).

Congratulations Arsenal :)

I'm a bit puzzled on this as I remember chelsea doing the same abuout 5 years ago...

And didn't liverpool win a trophy with a completely foreign team - I'm talking about the days when Scots, Irish etc were classified as foreign.

I don't think they were considering Scots and Irishmen (maybe even Welshmen) as foreign is my guess. I've heard some of those accents and it sounds foreign to me...lol...just kidding guys!

Arsenal is always making history...that's our forte`...hehehehe...Long Gun, I think it was him, pointed out that we were the first to field and all black starting XI once.

I don't know what the big deal is. If its a concern that an English club, run by Englishmen, have fielded an all foreign starting XI, why isn't there the same concern for an English club owned by a foreigner? (no disrespect Chelseafan, just pointing out the weak point about an all foreign XI).

Wenger to his credit, insists on the players speaking English in groups of more than 2, the pre game and half time talk is in English, and like other managers he insists they take English lessons. He has stated unequivocally its an English club and players should speak the native language. He has also paid the most for a domestic youth ever (2 mil for Pennant). Personally, I think we need a couple English players. Not because I'm sensitive about it. I'm American so its no big deal to me. I just think we need that 'steel' or 'Brit bulldog' that the English players are famous for. I think we've been lacking a bit of it since Parlour and Keown left last season and before him Adams and the members of the famous back line. It was evident we needed that in the 2nd half of the Man Yoo game and the QF in the CL against Chelsea last season.

Gudjohnsen in the news for drinking and driving. He's left the gambling and taken up the drink. I hope Pennant was with him. ::

"I just think we need that 'steel' or 'Brit bulldog' that the English players are famous for. I think we've been lacking a bit of it since Parlour and Keown left last season and before him Adams and the members of the famous back line. "

Good observation, CS, I agree with that.

Not that I liked any of the above mentioned players but they certainly 'hardened' the team.

Yeah I agree, we have Terry and Lampard, before them all we had was errr Wise.....

Yep Eidurs in trouble, though the press have stated that he was only marginally over the limit so maybe they will be lenient with him, who knows.

Jose Mourinho picks up manager of the month, John Terry picks up player of the month and Petr Cech gets a merit award for the longest shutout in the premiership. The first time that all the awards have gone to one club.....see we can be first at things too :-P

I'm fairly certain we have picked up the POTM and MOTM concurrently. The 'merit' trophy thing is a one off. Those aren't handed out each month. Like our special trophy for going unbeaten. I read it was Chelsea that fielded the first all XI first team but they had 4 Britons on the bench. We were the first to have the XI and the bench all foreign.

Zaad, you didn't like 'Handsome' Marty Keown? You're just jealous of his good looks.

Some good FA cup matches this weekend. Man Yoo at Everton and Chelsea at Newcastle. Beattie is suspended and Boumsong has a knock so Chelsea gets a break. Warnock will try to kick us off the pitch as he usually does.

Saw the highlights of the tsunami charity match. Just like most charity matches (and testimonials) it was fun and games, no one risking getting injured and defenses that would let in a youth team of girls.

Eto did well. I saw a clip of his last game in la liga and they were making monkey chants at him and he mimiced the crowd by making monkey noises back and even a monkey pantomine...it was eery and sad. I've also heard that in Poland and other places they do nazi salutes. American sports are devoid of those things and when it happens its the rare exception, so I'm not used to it. I hear it was more common years ago. It hurts la Liga as talent may not want to sign with a spanish club. Cole has said he wouldn't play in Spain beause of what he heard when England national team went there. I'm not labeling Spaniards. Nothing of the sort, can't blame the nation. There are always a few idiots around.

CL starting up next week. Can't wait. I am nervous about our game with Bayern. Can't wait to see the Barca/Chelsea game and the Milan/Man Yoo game.

Archived