Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

i was also thinking of a decision Poll made in the Arse/MU Game.

after less then 2 Mins Cole went into the area and Keane rushed out to meet him and then stopped dead,made no attempt to challenge him and raised his arms above his head.

Cole just let the ball run put of play but jumped 3 Feet into the Air and dived forward.

Poll shook his head,said there was no foul and signalled a Goal-Kick.

so why was Cole not booked for one of the most blatant dives i and others have seen.

funny that in the highlights programme the BBC decided not to show this incident,but Cole was castigated for it the next Day in the Media.

the new Chief of the FA who started this week has stated that diving and abusive language(not just directed at the Ref)are the 2 things he hates abiut the Game and is determined to come down hard on offenders.

but so far nothing has been said about Coles despicable act.

and before anyone starts,i think Rooney should have got a straight Red when he lost his head(again)and for a few Minutes was directing every swear word at the Ref in a series of Tirades.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Cole dived, Vieira as well. There were other things on your side and you mentioned one. Cole's dive didn't change the game. Its one of those things. Its the game changing decisions that hurt the game the most.

I'd personally like to see blatant diving get punished more. It was one of the things that attracted me to the English style of game. The increase in foreigners has increased the skill level in the league but with the good, came increased diving. Its like watching the spanish or italian league sometimes. When you see players like Cole and Rooney diving, its getting very bad indeed. Pretty soon we'll see Keane falling over next to a a player and grabbing his ankle as if he's Achilles in Troy.

not talking about Rooney Limbo,but one of your own.

Steve,no need to keep mentioning things that MU Players did and that i said nothing about them.

that was not my point and you know it.

i mentioned a specific incident and it could have been any Player at any Club in any Division,it just happened to be Cole.

the point was that for such a blatant attempt to con the Ref should a Player be punished?.

no matter who he is and who he plays for?.

no it didn't make any difference to the result but in some cases it does and nothing ever happens afterwards.

remember the Pires dive against Pompey,Arsenal scored from the spot to get an equaliser.

but there is no guarantee that Arsenal would have scored without that incident and therefore a cheating incident made a massive contribution to the game.

you will probably go on about Rooney against Arsenal but at least MU got another Goal to cover their arses.

it's just that Barwick was very vocal in the Weeks leading to his appointment how he wanted to stamp out this cheating.

but not a peep from him about this and i just wonder why?.

to make an example of a Player,any Player might make others think twice about it.

if Ronaldo does the same in the next Game i will say the same thing about him.

if Video evidence can be used in other instances when the action being viewed did not affect the result of the Game,then why not for diving?.

I was agreeing with your point. I even added Vieira to the list of Arsenal players who dived in the game for good measure. I'm all for tougher sanctions as well. Video evidence possibly but sometimes its a judgment call. Video can be inconclusive, but I do agree more should be done.

another quandry for you all(and no Steve i am not having a pop at Arsenal,but they will be affected in a big way).

UEFA have decided that as from 2008 any Team competing in any of their Competitions will have to have 8 Players of the Teams Nationality playing.

so therefore 8 Italians playing for Juve,8 Spaniards playing for RM etc.

so far only the English and Italian FA's have turned round and said bollocks and say they will go to the European Courts of Human Rights because it goes against the 'Freedom Of Movement' thingy.

i cannot see any top European Country agreeing to this.

if this had been in effect for the last 2 Seasons then Arsenal and Chelsea would not have featured in the CL.

but MU would have........... :neener:

i remember this 'rule' being in situ in the early 90's.

MU suffered greatly at the time because then only 3 Foreigners were allowed to play at one time and a Foreigner was classed as Scottish,Irish and Welsh in those Days.

at the time MU had the Fledglings coming through,but as Teenagers it was too much for them to all play at the same time.

i remember the Game in the Nou Camp in 94 when Schmeichel,Cantona,Kanchelskis,Giggs etc were in the stands while MU were getting whipped 4-0 by a Barca Team which in my opinion was the finest Team performance i have ever seen.

at least the Waiter bringing me Beer to my seat numbed the pain quite a lot.

there are 2 opinions about bringing this option back.

UEFA are worried that many Countries are neglecting their own National Players and that some Countries are sacrificing them for big name Foreign Players.

they want Countries to have a base of top Players coming through from their own Country.

some Countries can easily do this......Barca,RM,Juve and Inter can easily field 11 Players from their Country,albeit a very weakened side.

there is hardly any Club in the PL which could do that.

the other side of the coin is the selfishness of the top Clubs around Europe.

they are out to make money and want success so they go out and spend large fortunes on Players from all over the World.

having to play young Players from their own Provinces would destroy they eventually moneywise and that is not acceptable to them.

this story will run and run but i cannot see it coming to fruition.

probably not many American Football Fans read this Thread but imagine if this was put into force in the States.

only 3/4 of the Players from New England could for their Team or only 3/4 of the Players from California could play for one of their Teams.

i admit i don't know much about the Teams in the States but i imagine many of the Players are from out of state.

thought anyone?........

Lucky break for Chelsea with Cech saving that penalty. Robben hurt in the game as well. The league will probably be won by Chelsea but it may not be the walk it appears to be. Last week in February Chelsea has to play the Toon away in the FA cup, Barca away in the CL and the league cup final in Cardiff v. Liverpool. Possibly knocked out of 3 competitions in a week's time, plus have to manage to get results in the PL without Robben. If they survive the month and maintain points, its theirs. Deservedly so.

Mentally, it would appear we are out of the title. We showed no effort in the 2nd half. Man Yoo are bouyed by the win and are talking title again. I'm still a novice to football so I'm not sure how we can be out of the title hunt, Man Yoo in it and only separated by 2 points (a draw for them and a win by us and we are even on points) with more than a dozen games to go? :dunno:

Hopefully we can do well in the CL. We seem to do best when we're not expected to.

my opinion is to make an example of someone to provoke thoughts amongst other Players.

not Arsenal baiting but what if the FA decided to charge Cole and then gave him a 5 Match ban.

do people think other Players would look at the punishment and think fuck?........ :yikes:

i'm not having a go at Cole or Arsenal in particular but it is just something in the Game which i hate.

yes video can be inconclusive but in the case of Cole(and others)surely there can be plead of not guilty.

every Team has a Player who likes to go to ground easily.

Steve.

even your favourite Manager,Alladyce has admitted this Week that he has one Player who will fall over whenever anyone breathes within 10 Feet of him.

and big Sam is quite happy with this ........ :nono:

Quote Sayjann;

"and before anyone starts,i think Rooney should have got a straight Red when he lost his head(again)and for a few Minutes was directing every swear word at the Ref in a series of Tirades. "

Quote limbo;

"Rooney will get his share of red cards, doncha worry.

Quote Sayjann;

"not talking about Rooney Limbo,but one of your own."

I'm confused here Sayjann???

I used to like the idea of having a squad containing not more than 50% of foreign players.

Now I think (for several reasons Sayjann mentioned) fuck that, let them buy whomever they fancy. Good for the clubs, good for the players and super for the (neutral) fans which makes games a lot more exciting.

Archived