Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essien is still in the balance depending on what happens with Gerrard. Anyhow, talks have now finally broken down and Gerrard has told Liverpool that he wants to leave.

It seems the only two players would be Chelsea and Real, from comments made in the media, he is not keen on moving to Spain even though their laws on tax are more relaxed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4653041.stm

With their money and needs, Chelsea are linked to a lot of players like Man Utd States used to be. Remember when it seemed like Man Utd States were in the list of clubs that any big name player was linked to? Chelsea has not taken over that role due to their immense wealth.

If Gerrard goes to Chelsea, I wonder who will be left on the bench? Makelele perhaps? Right now, the midfield is Duff, Robben, Makelele and Lampard with Gudjohnsen and Drogba up front. Joe Cole is first off the bench if they need a goal, then Tiago if they are holding a lead.

If they also buy SWP that is too many players perhaps but any club would love to have that problem.

I hear Reds fans are up in arms. He's turning down 100k a week and Rafa has said he may even manage after he's gone.

£100K is a lot of money, but I think with Gerrard, he realises that he wants to join a club with long-term ambition....no offence to Liverpool fans, but last seasons CL was a flash-in-the-pan. I cant see them vying for the Premiership or retaining the CL, having said that they do have some nifty players coming in, supposedly one of Spains best keepers and the best striker in Chile....

In my heart, I dont think that he will go to Chelsea, mainly for the reasons you've quoted above. Yes, Chelsea can certainly afford him, but it would be too many "talented" mid-fielders.

Word on the street "huggy-bear" is that SWP is 90% certain to join up this week.

Gerrard wants regular CL action. He has won every trophy as a club player except the PL. He wants that to complete his club career. He doesn't have faith in LFC to see if Rafa can do that. He doesn't want to wait, 3, 4 or how number years to see if it will work out. Therefore, he only has 3 other options. Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd States.

He can rule out Man Yoo. Even he's not crazy enough to try for a transfer there. He'll make a great long term replacement for Keane and is the type of player Fergie loves to have in his spine. Also, the Glazer situation may inhibit Man Yoo from paying the fee. They certainly couldn't afford the 32 mil price tag now as the Glazers have allocated 25 mil at most for transfers this season.

He would love to play for us since we'll need a replacement for Vieira and our style of football has got to be very attractive to him. We certainly can give him a PL title and possibly be the missing link for a CL run of our own. However, we won't (or maybe even can't) pay that kind of fee until the stadium revenue kicks in. That leaves Chelsea with the money and the ability. I don't think its so much long term he's thinking than short term. No one knows if Roman will be interested in Chelsea long term or if his own private dealings in Russia may not come back to haunt him if Putin decides to go after him. In the short term Chelsea can offer him a legitimate chance at a PL and even another CL trophy. So its his only choice. He would consider Real Madrid for the prestige but only for that and a CL. He couldn't care less about a la Liga title. He'd much rather have a PL trophy.

The problem is who sits on the bench now? If Chelsea gets SWP, Joe Cole will certainly be upset. Its a WC year and he needs minutes to push for a starting position. He'll be on the team, no question, but he wants a starting role and is on the cusp of it. Chelsea may run the risk of too many quality first team players and having to keep them all happy. There will be a lot of substitutions that may change the shape of the team and momentum in games. Its great in the winter when you have 4 competitions going simultaneously and you can field a strong XI in a carling cup game but big players want to play regular league footie. Its a nice problem to have though. Many clubs would love that problem.

He'll go to Chelsea. He's acting like he wants to. Chelsea have the money.

2 summers running now he's linked and backed out. Gooners will know the feeling and can offer the scousers some advice. That is, there is nothing you can do..haha...really. If it happens often enough, you'll end up saying what myself and some gooners said last summer "....f**k off to Spain then and give us our 20 mil quid so we can buy players who want to play for the shirt..." haha...

Baptista, rejected an improved Sevilla contract. Sevilla have signed another Brazilian striker so it looks certain we'll get him. He's 6', big and get this...he was bought as a center mid and converted to striker. Knowing Wenger, he may end up there. We buy players who can play different positions. Hleb can play any position in midfield. Pires and Freddie can play both wings. Fabregas has played wide right and center mid and wouldn't be a half bad support striker as well feeding Henry passes. Reyes can play wide left and striker. Its gonna be a great year.

Archived