Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

not sure how Morientes will get on if he is signed and plays.

he had an outstanding Season with Monaco last Year and is a good Player.

but if he goes to Liverpool he will have only known his new Teammates for a couple of Days and could that be a problem?.

also he has not been playing much recently,some Sub appearances.

will he be match fit?.

personally i hope he does not play as we all know that he will get a hat-trick on his debut........ :scared:

but am i looking forward to the game?..........like hell,why couldn't we have an easy game........ :rolleyes:

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect Morientes on the bench for Saturday, he surely won't start. You think?

All the top clubs have tough games this weekend. Arsenal are at Bolton and haven't won there in a few years. Chelsea have their way with Spurs but this season Jol has them playing very well and its a much better scum side that got a 0-0 draw at the Bridge.

If Man Yoo didn't have LFC on Saturday I think they'd field a stronger side v. Chelsea but I suspect they'll sacrifice the game and hope for a draw and play the subs. It won't the youth like Eagles or Spector probably but the 2nd tier guys like Djemba x 2 and Saha. Sayjann, if they go through, they'll have to be listed as a winning the semi finals. I am hoping you guys win and possibly rattle Chelsea's confidence.

There is a rumor Graveson @ Everton is going to Real Madrid. Not sure if the rumor has any teeth but frankly I don't see it.

I think Liverpool will be a force next season and could possibly catch who ever is 3rd in March. Benitez is a proven manager. Much better than Houllier and seems to have gotten settled. It took him a few months to figure out the league and the players he adopted. I think his spanish signings have not done as well as expected. Nunez is not playing well at all. Alonso is getting better. When they get Cisse back and then with Baros and Morientes they will have a top class strike force. They need to get rid of Kewell and get a proper left winger. The wings and the back line are the only places I see where they can stand some improvement.

FA Cup draw

Fourth Round draw in full:

Derby County v Watford or Fulham

Manchester United or Exeter City v Middlesbrough

Cardiff City or Blackburn Rovers v Colchester United

Chelsea v Birmingham City

West Ham United v Sheff United

Oldham Athletic v Bolton Wanderers

Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Everton v Sunderland

Nottingham Forest v Peterborough United

Brentford v Hartlepool United or Boston United

Reading or Swansea City v Leicester City or Blackpool

Burnley or Liverpool v Bournemouth

Southampton v Portsmouth

West Bromwich Albion v Tottenham Hotspur

Newcastle United v Coventry City

Charlton Athletic v Yeovil Town

Ties to be played weekend of 28, 29 and 30 January

Wolves for us. We had them in the semis on our way to our '98 double. And I think we beat them the next year as well. They will be tough, we may have to field the same type of side with a bit more experience.

'Boro may give Man Yoo some problems. Depends if JFH and Viduka show up.

Brum have the defense to get a 0-0 draw at the Bridge but attack is lacking. If a 2nd tier Chelsea side is brought out a draw is possible. Liverpool and Newcastle get relatively easy draws, but as we all know anything is possible.

When we played Spurs at the beginning of the season, we were not on form, winning 1-0 in the most part, also we didn't have Robben.

Well on the whole, I dont think you could seperate the teams, chelsea probably had the best chances with the two goal-line clearances. However a draw was a fair result.

The odds are now neatly stacked in United's favour and I suspect Sayjann will be pleased with the result tonight.

I suppose it we do lose, at least I'll be surrounded by a bevy of dusky maidens in some bar somwhere in Pattaya :beer:

yes i am happy in a way.

a draw was a good result with the options available to Fergie.

yes he played a stronger side but still only 4 Players who would normally be playing week in week out.

i thought Rooney would play but surprised to see Saha back,i thought he was another week away from playing.

Chelsea were unlucky with Heinze and Neville clearing off the line,but Cudicini made a good save from Rooney and that was the only real chance really.

the game was a bit tame with both sides not firing on all cylinders but saying that both defences played well and nullified the opposing forwards.

but i thought the Chelsea forwards were pretty tame and didn't see much of them.

good to Rooney tracking back and at times the last Player.

i see that Mourinho has hinted that Fergie intimidated the Ref and that in the 2nd half everything went against Chelsea.

well that wasn't the case when Saha could easily have had a penalty in the 1st half,Chelsea were favoured then.

he also complained that MU wasted time and the crowd did not help by keeping the ball at times.

so what he is saying is that if Chelsea are 1 up at OT with 5 minutes to go then his Players would not be trying to run the clock down?.

and does he think Chelsea supporters would never think of keeping the ball to waste time?.

this thing has happened for decades and always will,but i do understand what he means.

frustration got the better of him.

not sure if MU are favourites for the 2nd leg.

MU will be installed as favourites as they are at home,but 2 legged ties are difficult to call.

i know that away Goals do not count after 90 Minutes and ET will happen if a draw,but not sure if away Goals count after ET or wether Penalties come into effect.

but i and others noticed something which could be thought of as double standards and we will see what happens in the next few Days.

in the 88th Minute there was an incident between Ronaldo and Drogba.

Ronaldo swung his arm at Drogba but missed and when other Players joined in Drogba was clearly seen with his hand around Fortunes throat.

it was all very mild really but after the Rooney ban for using his hand against an opponent,should Ronaldo and Drogba also be banned for raising their hands?.

but Fergie keeps his record of not losing a Domestic SF.

19 Games now and still never lost one.

in fact MU have not lost a SF since 1974/75.

sayjann said:

i see that Mourinho has hinted that Fergie intimidated the Ref and that in the 2nd half everything went against Chelsea.

well that wasn't the case when Saha could easily have had a penalty in the 1st half,Chelsea were favoured then.

he also complained that MU wasted time and the crowd did not help by keeping the ball at times.

Never a penalty, I've watched it a few times and read most of the papers this morning and they all agree that Saha went looking for it.

so what he is saying is that if Chelsea are 1 up at OT with 5 minutes to go then his Players would not be trying to run the clock down?.

I agree with you here Sayjann, any team would do the same, especially if you are playing at home. Mourinho let himself down here, if he doesn't watch out, he'll end up being a Wenger

and does he think Chelsea supporters would never think of keeping the ball to waste time?.

I have never seen Chelsea fans do this, thats not to say they don't but I think he's main point was that there was at least another 3 minutes of extra time due because of those several instances where the United fans kept the ball.

this thing has happened for decades and always will,but i do understand what he means.

frustration got the better of him.

not sure if MU are favourites for the 2nd leg.

MU will be installed as favourites as they are at home,but 2 legged ties are difficult to call.

i know that away Goals do not count after 90 Minutes and ET will happen if a draw,but not sure if away Goals count after ET or wether Penalties come into effect.

Speaking to a football wiz at work, apparently away goals do count after extra time, but don't quote me on that

but i and others noticed something which could be thought of as double standards and we will see what happens in the next few Days.

in the 88th Minute there was an incident between Ronaldo and Drogba.

Ronaldo swung his arm at Drogba but missed and when other Players joined in Drogba was clearly seen with his hand around Fortunes throat.

it was all very mild really but after the Rooney ban for using his hand against an opponent,should Ronaldo and Drogba also be banned for raising their hands?.

but Fergie keeps his record of not losing a Domestic SF.

19 Games now and still never lost one.

in fact MU have not lost a SF since 1974/75.

Yep against Norwich I believe....

Fergie is a wily fox and got his result. Liverpool game is much more important but psychologically he can't give up a win to Mourinho for the title run. He rested Keane so he can be fresh for Gerrard and Rio so he can be fresh for the LFC strikers, Scholes was kept on the bench and played a short enough time to be fresh for Saturday. He knew a draw is the best result he can get at the Bridge and he's hoping Chelsea will be a bit tired to face Spurs in a London derby. (yes, i read minds...and shame on your thoughts Sayjann!!). He drops points at Liverpool and he's out of the race if Chelsea wins.

Chelseafan you guys drew 0-0 at the Bridge v. spurs earlier in the season. This Spurs side is in form and playing much better. You guys have owned Spurs for the last several yeasr (just like us) but this year things may be a bit different. Spurs may not win but they stand a good chance of taking points.

We are likely to drop points at Bolton. We never get a good result when Fat Sam has his players kicking anyone in a red shirt.

concerning the possible Penalty incident.

i watched the game on Sky and when i first saw the tackle i thought Penalty.

as did the pundits at work that night,Andy Gray,Ray Wilkins,George Graham and Frank Stapleton.

there 1st instinct was it was a Pen and after replays nothing changed their minds.

interesting that an exact same incident happened a couple of Minutes later on Duff.

in that case Chelsea got the free-kick,was it because it was outside the area and the Ref was worried about giving MU a Pen?.

i agree that there should have been more time added on at the end and that the actions of the MU fans should have meant more.

you a secret MU fan?.

i knew it was Norwich who last beat us in a Domestic SF,but you knowing as well?.

have you anything to tell us?........

interesting to hear that it was MU's 3rd 0-0 Draw in a row and that is the 1st time since 1921 that that has happened.

Funnily enough, my first instinct was that it wasn't a penalty, not being biased or anything, but I really did think that Saha ran into them rather than him being "sandwiched" out.

Then I saw it again in slow-mo and I thought that we were a bit lucky maybe, but after watching it over and over again in real time I still dont think it was a penalty.

I've seen these given though...

As for being a secret man u fan, lol, no, my mate at work is a massive Norwich fan though.... :beer:

As for the Saha 'penalty', the football gods are punishing man yoo for the Rooney dive v. us :):beer:

I actually was cheering for Man Yoo and it felt so dirty! I need absolution "forgive me Wenger for I have sinned".

Can Everton do it? I hear Graveson may go to Real Madrid. I just can't see it. If he goes its a massive loss and they can kiss any euro ambitions good bye I think, unless they line someone up who can fit in quickly and be effective immediately. von Brommel possibly. He's a mean, dirty git of a player.

Archived