Current info. on extending tourist visa??

june11

Just searched the web and got lots of totally conflicting info. If I want to extend my 30 day tourist visa, is it still possible to pay 2000 baht for a 10 day extension? It used to be about 500b a few years ago....Is it still 10 days? I found what I thought was the bangkok immigration office phone number but it doesn't seem to work...anyone know it?

Hi June11,

I read in the online edition of bkk post on the 5th, that government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair said it had been decided to waive the 2000 baht fee for the 10 day visa extension in order to encourage tourists to spend more time in Thailand.

Just tried to look up the link, but the article is no longer there. Mayby you can find it in their archives.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

......ha ha.....to "encourage touists" to overstay their original legal time limit? You actually remembered a 'gov't spokesmans" name?

What would happen if I got a ten day extension, but couldn't leave until the 11th day. I know you can pay a small fine at the airport for one day, but supposedly its very risky to do that.

june11 said:

......ha ha.....to "encourage touists" to overstay their original legal time limit? You actually remembered a 'gov't spokesmans" name?

Nope, I have better things to do :) It was a cut and paste.

What would happen if I got a ten day extension, but couldn't leave until the 11th day. I know you can pay a small fine at the airport for one day, but supposedly its very risky to do that.

As Straycat says, if you make it to the airport without being stopped, you are home free. It is standard procedure to pay 200 baht per day you overstay and I have done that on many occasions. But I wouldn`t wanna be caught by police while overstaying or i would have to do hard time.

You can check the article on this subject on ´

thaivisa

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I know. And thats what I'm talking about. (And he did NOT provide a "quote"). His post sounds like bullshit or else he totally misinterpreted the "article"....I can imagine the immigration office waiving the fees for some people because of the tsunami, but "to encourage tourists to stay longer?"....yeah right.

Archived