Mathematical conundrum

Redbaron

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zaad said:
Do I get an e-mail for reading and not understanding this hole thread ?

I understand most crap in here but have yet to encounter the holes you're speaking of ::

Come now Zaad , as the resident " Female Ass Inspector " hole's should be your specialty... :beer: hence the hole idea of my post was that the hole in question was not discovered and yet there is still the question of this hole thread... ::

BadamissingscrewsBing :cover:

>>>>>So - the optimal shape for a BOX is still a cube<<<<

Nope... The optimal shape of the box would be a pyramid shaped box. The 3 equal measurements for it's base would be in multiples of 40mm, the size of which would be detirmined by the angle of slope needed to just touch the next layer of spheres resting within the cradles of the first level. Once that angle is determined, the base size would be whatever it would take to create a 50 liter volume. I don't believe there is a more compact straight-sided box configuration.

But I could be wrong. :)

A sphere is good, but you still lose space where the sphere bulges out after making contact with the outside layer. Think of a glass bowl with marbles in it. Pick 4 marbles, and look at them from the side....the glass bulges out inbetween the four contact points, resulting in unnessessary dead space. Only with the pyramid shape, can you eliminate all unnessessary empty space within a box filled with sphere's.

HT

Optimal shape for a cube holding spheres is difficult.

With stacking, you have an airspace between any given four, that will run the depth of the box. But where they hit the sides, that gap is cut in half. So you would think a tall skinny box would be optimal, to create as many half\gaps as possible, as they will always have a full\gap otherwise, no matter what size the box (cube dimentions) :dunno:

With staggering, (and letting them fall where they would naturaly), you eliminate gaps and optimize space, until you reach the inside perimeter. The second layer (even) spheres will rest in their 'cradle' created by underneith layer, with every even layer (2,4,6 etc.) laying well away from the wall. That space is what a pyramid eliminates. So the trick is to minimize that. I would think a large, low box would work best, but of course, with that, you also will have larger perimeter dimentions, than a tall skinny box. Phom hua jep! (My head hurts)

That's as far as my brain will take me tonight. :spin:

HT

Thai - maybe in your part of the world is different, but every box I've seen has eight sides, hence the original post to BB.

if you want to get into nuts and bolts (and I used a pecil to work it out, nnot a nifty program) you also need to think how will the boxes be loaded into and out of the container!

If on Pallets, you need to make sure you get the max to cover them.

Odd shapes never make it onto or off a pallet.

Also you need to think what type of container.

40' or 20'.

Both have optimium sizes.

When we make large numbers of digital devices, one thing we look at is how will it be packaged, and then how will it be transported, and then loaded and unloaded.

Has actually forced us to change the design sometimes!

DOG

Archived