Monk takes my pic

Zaad

All Thais seem a bit peculiar when it comes to cameras including video. I'm sure you've all had the experience when shooting some scenery, that sudenly people want to rush around and get the babies and children in the shot.

It strikes me as odd, surely they know their never going to see the pic/vid. But none the less they seem zealouse to be captured.

And I have seen the extra snaps thing before too.

It would seem the monks were returning the favour by honoring the photographer with a gratuitous snap as well.

Maybe they just wanted to make the ferang feel honoured and welcomed.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I agree. They are not being rude. Just chalk it up to a cultural thing. Same as them asking you how much money you make, and taking many other 'liberties', that might be frowned upon elsewhere.

In my experience, Thai's can sometimes go crazy over taking pictures. They generaly love it. I just got several video files from gf, of girls in their office. They were all pretending to be famous runway models, strutting down the aisle between their workstations. Freaking hilarious. What is up there? Don't Thai office girls ever have any work to do? I chat with gf for 3 hours, and she might have to leave for 5 minutes, to actually do some work. And she just got a 2,000 baht raise??? The rest of the time, she is shooting pics to me, of her writing "XXX loves HT" on the company white board, with her boss standing next to her. ::

Thai's just like to have fun. They love taking pics, and pics being taken of them. From what I've seen, there are no etiquette rules, as might be seen from another point of Western view.

Everything is pretty much fair game, until you try starting to shoot pics in a bar. That is pretty much off limits, unless you get approval first. I've been able to shoot in Rainbow bars, Midnight, etc. But only with permission from mamasan.

HT

bibblies said:

About 10 years ago I was sitting reading a newspaper in Lumpini Park when I heard a click and giggles and turned around to see a couple of schoolgirls looking back at me. I often wonder if it's in some album somewhere...

Probably was a school assignment on ugly, dirty, old, bald, fat and tattood farang holding his newspaper upside down :p

BB

Hi BB,

:grinyes:

I just got a motorola V551 phone. Wow...picture taking ability, with full video. The clearity is getting scary with these phones. I'm surprised I've not yet seen bootleg video coming out of BKK bars yet. Just a matter of time, I guess.

Might make for a new thread.

HT

Think nothing about but then, how many falang pictures are blown up and are mounted on Thai walls in their homes? I have seen a few. Or maybe the picture will be carried in a walled?

Maybe your picture will become an amulet?

BelgianBoy said:
bibblies said:

About 10 years ago I was sitting reading a newspaper in Lumpini Park when I heard a click and giggles and turned around to see a couple of schoolgirls looking back at me. I often wonder if it's in some album somewhere...

Probably was a school assignment on ugly, dirty, old, bald, fat and tattood farang holding his newspaper upside down :p

BB

Probably not. It was back when I was handsum and young (24, not 48 :neener:)

Archived