Monk takes my pic

Zaad

Hi all,

Bit of a weird moment to share here.

I was heading to work last week and as I stepped into the subway I saw two monks sitting among the passengers. Ok, nothing really unusual yet. They asked one of the passengers to take a pic of them as he handed him his camera. Afterwards one monk took a pic of the passenger who had taken their pic moments before. I thought that was odd but, ok.

Then the monk looked at me and positioned the camera in front of his eye. What the .... I thought. I was standing near the door with my back to it so he took the opportunity AND TIME to vertical his photo shooting machine as to get the complete me, including legs ::

Having a discussion with a monk on whether it's appropriate to take pics of strangers without asking for one's permission is not really that high on my priority list so I looked away and ignored the rest of the happenings.

Then came the big blue flash followed by all passengers eyes to see my reaction on the matter :)

Is it me or is this weird?

Would you have said something?

cheers!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that monks do a lot of travelling during their service. My wife's father did a long stint recently a a few times, we took him the the bus station for one of his long journeys.

Anyway, it seems likely that this monk was new to the big city and thought it was perhaps a novelty i.e., a big farang riding on the mysterious people moving machine :D

Jxxxl,

"Anyway, it seems likely that this monk was new to the big city and thought it was perhaps a novelty i.e., a big farang riding on the mysterious people moving machine :D "

Yeah, I had similar thoughts, but still weird. :)

Whiteorchid,

"You will find your own picture on some pay websites :neener: :neener: :neener: "

Yeah, with clothes on for a change :)

not their intention to be impolite!

they just thought, that you can't speak thai and they are too shy or unable to address their request to you in english.

has happen to me several times (not with monks, but other thais! in particular when accompanying by farang females or farang kids); i just say "kha thai roop farang yisip baht"! this is followed usually by a lot of laughter and makes the situation relaxed!

Archived