Kai Yeo Mah?

Palatkik

I went into Family convenience store looking to buy some fresh eggs. All they had was Kai Yeo Mah which I believe translates as Horse Piss Eggs? I didn?t buy them but understand they are the eggs that have the dark black gelatinous insides.

Anyone got any idea how they got the name of horse piss if thats what the name translates at?

Chinese food 101! My first Chinese girlfriend's fav (wife only thinks that "they are OK"), so ah's knows lots about dem...

They are also known as 1000 year old eggs (but are really only ~100 days old) or pi dan in Mandarin. They are made by coating duck or chicken eggs in a clay-like coating of dirt, garden lime, salt, wood ash, and tea. One then buries the eggs in a container that's been layered and lined with dirt, and then stored in a cool dry place for 3-4 months. The old joke was that they were fermented in horse urine (hence the colloquial name) but this is untrue. Serving suggestion: cut into slices/wedges and serve with Chinese sweet pickled vegetables or a mixed sauce of vinegar, soy sauce, rice wine, and bits of ginger. An acquired tase, but it's good IMHO.

Here are recipes for them for using them in joak (aka congee) and a tofu salad.

Cheers,

SD

Archived