Thai seafood sales down?

Gf says both her bosses in Singapore and Hong Kong have both told her that these locales have stopped ordering seafood from Thailand, due to the pictures of dead bodies floating in the ocean there. She also says is a concern of her friends in BKK.

I'm just wondering how serious this is, and how long it might continue, if in fact, is true in having an impact on the seafood market in Thailand. Both bosses have told her that restaurants and markets in SG and HK are openly reassuring customers that their products are not from Thai waters. That's an impact I never thought about.

HT

Guest lazyphil

I will be in BKK for all of April ::...anyway it wont stop me eating seafood, the oceans are full of pollutents anyway and besides we bury the dead in the uk, bodies rot into the water table and I still drink the water here. Typical Asian hysteria!

Hi Stick,

Seems to be a real problem, which has not received *any* press yet, that I have seen. Could be a very serious economic problem, with large implications, that are very immediate.

Like that is just what the fisherman in the hard hit area's need right now. :: When it rains, it pours.

HT

HIGH THAIED said:Seems to be a real problem, which has not received *any* press yet, that I have seen. Could be a very serious economic problem, with large implications, that are very immediate.

Like that is just what the fisherman in the hard hit area's need right now. :: When it rains, it pours.

NPR has had some stories on it, but from a Sri Lankan perspective. My hometown public radio station has streaming audio, so I listen a lot!

This silliness re: eating seafood is a bad thing. Hopefully western markets will keep buying and keep those poor folks employed.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Suadum,

>>>>This silliness re: eating seafood is a bad thing. Hopefully western markets will keep buying and keep those poor folks employed.<<<

Yea...but it's very real. I wrote before, I know a Thai lady here in hawaii, that won't go back for 2 years, because she thinks the air will be 'bad' for that long. This whole thing really does have some strange twists to it. The immediate concern is the seafood industry. Sooner or later, this will come to light. It's been really supressed so far, in International news. But that is not going to last for long.

HT

lazyphil said:

I will be in BKK for all of April ::...anyway it wont stop me eating seafood, the oceans are full of pollutents anyway and besides we bury the dead in the uk, bodies rot into the water table and I still drink the water here. Typical Asian hysteria!

Hi LP

We will be in BKK for april as well!! ::

And we will eat our share :up:

I don't know how many bodies havn't been recovered but I imagine the Andaman and the Java Seas and the Indian Ocean have a high population of sharks who will no doubt clear up the mess :(.

If someone has a life insurance policy,what time span would the insurance company give before they paid out on an individual "missing presumed dead" in sorry circumstances such as these?Thanx

Archived