will???

thalenoi

ok guys, if I fall dead tomorrow what can I do to ensure the gf gets all the furniture and the balance on my bank account? (we ain't married and I don't intend to)

Is a combined bank account (in both names) a possibility?

She has her own bank account, but I must keep sufficient funds in mine to cover visa needs (retirement, swapping money between two accounts is not a good idea I think)

Would a written statement signed by two witnesses be enough or do I need to involve a thai lawyer?

Thalenoi,

Whatever you decide to do in LOS, what about any legal obligations you have back here in Belgium ?

Would there be any conflicts ?

Then again, "if" you would pass away when in LOS, advise GF today that she goes pronto to the bank to clean out the account(s) and to move the furtinure.......

BB

you should ask the bank. also a notarised testament would be a good idea.

i have spoken with my dad already, that in the worst case the proceeds of a small life insurance i have there is sent to the missus.

the rest is anyhow not much of a problem as the few other things worth something are already in her name for years.

Hi ND,

"will's I think cover only the country of where the assets are"

No, generally a will is universal. Leaving theory you must ascertain that the will is valid in all countries where you own assets. Actually it's more complicated than that... ::

elef

I think you should register your local Thai will at the equivalent of city hall. Once registered, all your assets will be divided up based on that will. You really need to see a lawyer albeit may be quickly and nothing more than a sheet of A4 paper confirming your wishes. It makes things a lot easier for those left behind to get your affairs sorted, let alone getting their hands on any money :)

Make sure your bank account has an ATM card; and, let your gf know it's whereabouts. (warning! ... this can be quite hazardous!).

File a copy of a will with your Embassy (and don't forget to include me!).

Also, leave instructions with the Embassy as to what your wishes are with respect to your final remains. It can be very expensive to have your remains shipped to your country of origin - make sure you avoid this if not so wanted.

BelgianBoy said:

Thalenoi,

Whatever you decide to do in LOS, what about any legal obligations you have back here in Belgium ?

Would there be any conflicts ?

Then again, "if" you would pass away when in LOS, advise GF today that she goes pronto to the bank to clean out the account(s) and to move the furtinure.......

BB

My Belgian stuff is taken care off.

I Don't think anyone would oppose a sheet of paper I make for the money stuck here (therefore I need to know if just a piece of paper will do it, the gf is reluctant to pay ANY amount to a lawyer, be it 5 baht....)

Don't think she would be able to transfer the money from my account to hers like that. I transferred some money last week from my account to hers, I signed the paper at a desk in the bank, but the bank employee wanted me to sign again at her counter.

My family in Belgium does know I want to be burned to ashes here.

I also do have insurance coverage paying for a coffin and repatriation of my body if the family would wish to do so, but that would be against my will....

Informing the embassy, but who would ask the embassy? (see the thread on the lost sukhumvit farang)

Archived