Thai girls and the letter R

Lusty

Why do many Thai women have such a problem with the R sound?

My GF pronounces every word that begins R with an L but she can say "Rama" without any problems.I just tell her to apply the same sound to words like Rice,Rusty,Road etc but she seems unable to grasp this ::.Any suggestions much apprieciated.Thanx ::

Lusty - 'l' and 'r' seem pretty much interchangeable here: 'aroi' / 'alloy' etc. Often the 'r' is trilled so it is not that they are incapable of pronouncing it - it just gets treated casually. I have kids quite happily saying 'library' in English.

I wonder if a parallel could be drawn with UK Eng. speakers often substituting 'f' for a 'th' sound? 'I fink I'm fucking thick vo''

Anyway - Lusty sounds better than Rusty and it is apposite.

Lusty said:Why do many Thai women have such a problem with the R sound?
Actually, it is Issan women who have problems with the letter R. Why? Lao was no such sound and their Thai is heavily tinged with Lao and their parents/grandparents prolly did not speak proper central Thai either. So they learned incorrectly when growing up.

Pure central Thai does have the R sound. Listen to radio or TV news broadcasts and you will hear the proper enuciation.

Cheers,

SD

Lusty said:

Why do many Thai women have such a problem with the R sound?

My GF pronounces every word that begins R with an L but she can say "Rama" without any problems.I just tell her to apply the same sound to words like Rice,Rusty,Road etc but she seems unable to grasp this ::.Any suggestions much apprieciated.Thanx ::

Hi

My wife has the same problem ::

Time will fix this ...her sister has been in OZ over eight years and speaks very well..and no R/Ls.

suadum said:

Actually, it is Issan women who have problems with the letter R. Why? Lao was no such sound and their Thai is heavily tinged with Lao and their parents/grandparents prolly did not speak proper central Thai either. So they learned incorrectly when growing up.

Pure central Thai does have the R sound. Listen to radio or TV news broadcasts and you will hear the proper enuciation.

Cheers,

SD

Hi SD,

Issarn women only? :)

I hear people all over thailand pronounce R as L regardless of their origin.

By the way in Issarn the R is normally substituted by an H-sound not L, like in hotel, hot.. Hong Haem, Horn etc.

I think it has more to do with upbringing and education than anything else.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

it's not only Isaarns and not even only Thais. there are many Asians outside Thailand as well with exception of malay, indonesians and philippines.

in korean for example the letter r and l is the same! also in chinese there is no sound close to the western guttural r

samak said:

it's not only Isaarns and not even only Thais. there are many Asians outside Thailand as well with exception of malay, indonesians and philippines.

in korean for example the letter r and l is the same! also in chinese there is no sound close to the western guttural r

Stranded out here in the west, without any Thai's to talk to, one of the learning aids I use is a DVD for children. The theme of the story is the importance in the differentiation between the 2 sounds and important roles they play in the language.

If this CD has been prepared for Thai children, it must be common issue.

Hi,

>>>Why do many Thai women have such a problem with the R sound?<<<<

It's comes from where they are from. In issan, 'r' is often replaced with 'L". A lot has to do with laziness, also.

Even at the bkk taxi stand. "ow bai phahoyotin soi jet"

Soi alai?

Mai chai..Soi Ari. khao jai mai?

:: forget it already. 2 hours later, you might even be near the place.

HT

I asked a motor bike taxi at Pattaya bus station to take me to Soi jet(I was looking foward to a decent pork chop in the the Pig and Whistle).

I ended up at a place called See Jet which is an old Chinese cemetary:: :(.A few phone calls EVENTUALLY got me where I wanted to go.

The particular girl I was with told me that "Taxi rider need know why tink tonk falunge need go Chinese cemetery at midnite to look for pee ::.TiT!

Archived