Hunter S Thompson - dead.

carew66

I'm not saying HT was a total phony. He was definitely 'out there' but the fiction process is strange. It can hide more than it reveals. Reality gets bent, enhanced, exagerated. He was a writer. The act of writing needs a lot of mental discipline. The real gonzos mostly end in the gutter or jumping out of Pattaya condos.

Arrest record? Bit of drug trouble in Aspen? Big deal. Yes it would be nice to imagine him running bollock-naked through Nana but I doubt if his 3rd. wife would have let him go to Bangkok on his own. Would have been a bad career move anyway.

There can be a disconnect between the public persona and the real person. Hemingway comes to mind. I wonder what was so intolerable about his life that lead him to end it?

"I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours."- Hunter S. Thompson

Just found this link for further research...

http://www.mattwelch.com/OJRsave/OJRsave/HST.htm

Very profound observations, Chuck.

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, it seems that the first decade of the new century is proving to be the swansong for the icons of the old. Yes, I know that many of them didnt make it to 2000, but the people who are leaving us now were much more an immediate part of my youth than Gandhi and Co, and several of them weren't much older than I was.

Hard to believe that Thompson made it into his late 60's, given his 'take no prisoners' approach, but time marches on : if Bruce Lee had lived, he'd be 62 this year. How many of us can remember the first time we saw 'Enter the Dragon' : for me, it feels like it was yesterday.

Archived