Japanese trooper plunges to death from Thai hotel

kamui

If he left his shoes on the roof, this was almost probably a suicide, but if he didn't...

Japanese trooper plunges to death from Thai hotel

An Air Self-Defense Force (ASDF) member plummeted to his death from a Thai hotel where he was staying on Sunday, the Defense Agency said.

Agency officials said no suicide note has been found. ASDF troops deployed to Thailand and local police are investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

At around 3:50 p.m., Japan time, a 35-year-old staff sergeant who was staying in a 12th-floor room of a hotel in Pathaya plunged to the ground, according to the Defense Agency. He was pronounced dead at around 7:40 p.m.

The staff sergeant, who is a mechanic of a C-130 transport aircraft belonging to the ASDF, arrived in Thailand on Feb. 17 to participate in activities to support victims of the tsunami that hit Sumatra. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Feb. 28, 2005)

Looking through the stories on the Pattaya City News site, I was astounded at the number of deaths from assorted causes both farang, non-Thai and Thais are suffering down there!

Crack police work blames one death on pizza.

One good one about 20 Uzbhek women rounded up on Walking St for deportation because of reports of woman selling themselves. On Walking St. Apparently, the police did not see any hai women doing the same!

Some interesting other stories, too: guy with cut off nose cuz he was caught cheating and his wife doesn't want him to ever smell another woman, or the Thai guy, murdered, slashed throat- and then (or maybe before :gasp:) stabbed about 10 times in the groin!

I must admit that were Pattaya a normal town, then the incidence of suicide would be very unusual. However, Pattaya is not a normal town.

Statistically normal people do not come to Pattaya and certainly do not live there. The people who do are either pissed off with their lives elsewhere, have come to the end of the road or are amongst life's chancers. Even us in business love more than the opportunity to make a profit.

That said, the BiB do not have a great reputation in Thailand nor Pattaya in particular. There are simply too many suspicious deaths for the majority to be suicides, even given the strains of living in Adult Disneyland.

I don't doubt that a number of these deaths are at the hands of people involved in illegal activities and I have little sympathy for them. A number also must be the handywork of bargirls and their ilk. Farang on farang must also figure in the equasion. That said, there remains too large a number which are dismissed as suicide.

Good stuff, Torrenova, and I think you've made some good points - we arent talking about an upper-middle-class residential suburb here, we are talking about an extremely busy red-light district. How many of us even pause when we hear that someone died from unnatural causes in our own hometown redlight area ?

I'm not denying that the Thai police need to lift their game, but sudden death in Pattaya isnt likely to become a rarity on their records anytime soon. Some of us have been in some very hairy situations over the years, P4P or otherwise, but I dont think KS has lost a single member to a Pattaya high-rise yet.

Archived