Brothers who have lost the plot :-(

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coss said:

Once had a dish in Chiang Mai that was made from raw pig's blood and raw pig's liver, assorted pungent herbs, a selection of tree bark, roasted ground rice, a few insects that fell into the Bok Bok and enough chillies to kill. So that I wouldn't pick up any parasites I also consumed about 3/4 of a bottle of Glenfiddich Whiskey.

Seems to have worked. I couldn't even remember the word parasite the next morning.

Cheer

Coss

Si Saket girl fed me some sort of soup with ant eggs in it a few times, good stuff! "...my jungle has many food...aloi! (thumbs up) cant eat many things at my jungle..."

You know on two ocasions I have explored the delicacies of the "Bug Cart", neither time I really enjoyed my prizes. They honestly tasted too oily from the frying process to really judge their character.

But on my last visit to my foster child's family farm in Udorn Thani. She made me this delicious dish of minced crickets I coult not get enough of. Now mind you these had not been deep fried. So maybe that's the trick, the frying ruins their better qualities.

She had added Chalots, Lemon Grass, Cilantro and a meagre amount of Chilli. There might allso have been some lemon juice not sure. She only regreted that she didn't have any sticky rice prepared for me. None the less I couldn't get enough of it and felt quite selfish the way I was enjoying it.

i have to agree.

i like trying local food whenever i visit Foreign lands.

but i am not a great lover of hot spicy food and the Chilli's in Thailand were not great for me.

i would try anything but much of the food was way,way too hot for me.

i remember one time when 2 Girls tricked me into trying a COLD dish and said it was good.

i noticed all the Chilli's and said "no thanks" and i knew it must be "hot".

"no,no" they assured me and spoon fed me and as i was reaching for the nearest drink to try and cool my mouth they were rolling on the floor laughing because they had fooled me..... :doah:

some of these BG's can be a little bit devilish at times..... :cussing:

My wife used to try to get me to eat spicy food to see what my reaction would be. She thought she would get an easy laugh. Now she knows that I can handle it without any problems so she gave up.

I like Thai food myself. Just can't get past the bugs though. Fortunately my wife and her family find them pretty repulsive too.

One way to get rid of the burn from chili peppers is to eat sugar. It neutralizes the acid. It does work believe it or not. Picked this trick up from a chili sauce scoville rating contest.

No offense, but I really would give Som Tam pla ra a bit of a miss. N/E thailand has probably the highest incidence in the world of a nasty type of liver cancer called "cholangiocarcinoma". This is almost certainly due to eating those little pla ra, which are infected with a liver fluke . If I recall correctly the fish in the som tam are preserved (pickled?) not cooked, and so, fluke (?) eggs (?) are not killed. Infection rates in N/E are believed to be up around 70% of people. Long term infection with the fluke leads to the cancer through an, as yet not completely understood, mechanism.

Funnily enough, its pretty easy to get rid of the flukes with appropriate medication, BUT, of course, they all get re-infected with the next dish of som tam....stick to Som Tam Thai. Your liver will thank you...

-j-

Archived