Going to Japan, Need Help

jxxxl

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but here goes:

I'm planning on taking my daughters to Japan this summer for a vacation. They've both been to Tokyo and liked it, but thought it was too sprawling and full of business people.

My question is, if you had to take two teenage girls somewhere in Japan, where would be the best place? I've heard there are some really fun cities for young travellers.

Also, does anyone know of a board that has good information on hotels and other valuable info?

jxxxl - I am off to NY in a few hours so do not have the time to create a full blow itinerary. PM me with any questions. Tokyo in itself has many interesting spots that aren't frequented by ramen-eating salarymen 24/7. Major cities that are fun are Fukuoka and Osaka. From Osaka, other points of interest such as Nara, Kobe and Kyoto are an hour or less away by rail. Nagasaki is a day trip from Fukuoka. You may wish to consider Hiroshima, if anything for its historical value. If nature is your bag, Hokkaido up north has some scenic areas and it's pleasant in the summer unlike the winter months when the climate gets Siberia-like. Kanazawa is a neat town on the west coast if you're looking for something a bit off the normal tourist trail. Investigate JR (Japan Railway), I believe they have a very decent railpass for tourists. There was a stipulation that this pass had to be purchased outside of Japan - do not know if that's changed. Very useful as the railroad infrastructure is probably the greatest in the world here - certainly the best I've utilized. Gambatte... :wave:

For teenage girls of course Tokyo and Osaka are the best places.

In Tokyo for example Shibuya is known as the center of Japanese pop culture. The girls will like Harajuku with it's many shops as well. In Osaka it's "America Mura" for example. Osaka has a fantastic Aquarium.

Japan is famous for it's many theme parks, the bestknown and largest is the Disney park near Tokyo.

A visit to the EXPO 2005 Aichi might be a good idea as well. I am thinking of going there in summer. It's half the way between Tokyo and Kyoto.

Anyway, I never would miss to go to Kyoto to visit the old temples (especially Ryoanji!!!) and traditional shops.

PS: I just read the original post again. You are planning to avoid Tokyo this time?

Thanks guys, that's great info. A few questions:

What is Osaka like? I mean, what kind of stuff is there for young people? Is there a street scene or any partular attractions? Is it a huge sprawling city like Tokyo and are the attractions far apart?

Kamui, what do you mean by "American Mura" in Osaka? And what would one find in the Expo 2005 Aichi?

I'm not planning on avoiding Tokyo, but I'm wondering is there is someplace better. I found Tokyo a bit sprawling for a tourist, but that could be becuase I don't have any plans. My girls loved Harajuku and riding the crowded subway. We didn't go to Shibuya and we were staying in Shinjuku. Tokyo Disneyland was a blast, it was great on the jungle boat ride hearing the boat captains doing there bit in Japanese.

I found Osaka even more busy than Tokyo. The people of Osaka describe themselves as being the better merchants, while they think of the people of Tokyo being much more stylish and arrogant. But of course this is only a typical stereotype caused by competione between Japans' stronges cities. Osaka is less stylish IMHO, but interesting as well. "America Mura" is shopping district in Osaka with many hip stores, cafes etc. for Japanese teens (Harajuku Osaka style).

short information on Osaka

The site says that the aquarium is probably Japan's best aquarium.

EXPO 2005 is in the series of the world expos since the 19th century which takes place in a different county every few years. A few years ago the world expo was in Hanover/ Germany. Many countries compete with pavilions with exhibitions, the latest technological developments, ecology e.g. Every expo is different and there are many, many different things to see and to do. Even the pavilions are often architectonic master pieces. You should hear about the EXPO 2005 soon. Just listen to the news in your country after the opening at March 25.

Osaka is much more manageable than Tokyo in terms of travelling time and distance. Osaka's the 2nd biggest conurbation, but Osaka City is about 1/3 the size and population of Tokyo City.

In Japan a city is a city, and there's never that much to do. But in Osaka you can go to Osaka Castle (the park around it is nicer than the actual castle); Dotombori Street (crazy pedestrian mall); America-Mura; if you like cityscapes you can go to the top of the Umeda Sky Building, or Tsutenkaku Tower near Tennoji. Or better yet you can ride the ferris wheel in Umeda, attached to the Hep 5 shopping mall.

Nara City (30-45 minutes from central Osaka) which has a nice park, lots of historical temples, a small mountain to hike up for a nice view of the city, and deer that attack you for biscuits. It's my prime date destination, and it's always fun. It's small enough to be navigated on foot.

Kyoto is about an hour from Osaka, and is much more grandiose than Nara, but it's very spread out. You'll have to take buses etc. But there are some beautiful places there.

• 3 weeks later...

Osaka SUCKS!

Sorry couldn't resist that, it's NY vs. LA, Sydney vs. Melbum, London against Birmingham ...

Osakans ain't shy in expressing their motions, which is why I like (loath) them.

I rate a trip to Nikko over Kyoto simply because you get the nature and the temples as opposed to shrines and crowded cities, though Kyoto with 6 geisha on each arm is special. They love me too mutt. [Cough... BULLSHIT!]

The daughters' idea of a summer tour would have to include Harajuku (UAL875 provides free futons, frogs and satays) and Tokyo Disneyland (as much as I hate it! -- Disney Sea sells booze, Disneyland does not but you can escape for a refreshment at Ikspiari!) and Expo in Nagoya.

Nature tour? What are your interests? Hokkaido and Okinawa are worlds apart but similar in their isolation.

In July and August there are many big summer rock concerts that your girls would like to lose dad at...

Then there are the Izu islands and Sado island, all of which are major summer party zones.

Ask your girls what they want to do and take it from there.

Roppongi

PS. Is the Riverside still rocking in Chang Mai?

Archived