England needs Scholes?

bibblies

http://www.football365.com/news/story_146943.shtml

Sven-Goran Eriksson is to try for a second time to persuade Paul Scholes to end his England exile after admitting he misses the the Manchester United midfielder.

Does anyone else find this really worrying? We've got the best pool of players we've seen in 35 years (perhaps now the best in Europe), practically overloaded in midfield talent, with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Wright-Phillips and now, with Joe Cole dazzling against top European sides, Eriksson wants to bring back the failed, not-up-for-it-anymore, old guard?

And it's not as though Rooney hasn't taken over Scholes old position with ten times the impact, is it?

How can this guy who's so adventurous in seeking affairs be so frustratingly ultra-conservative in football? :dunno:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bring back Scholes i say........ :doah:

i love the ginger minger but only when playing for MU,i hate to see any of my Teams Players playing for their Country.

so many games for their Clubs are missed after Internationals and i hate this as the FA will not compensate the Clubs for injuries incurred during meaningless friendlies.

the Scholes conundrum is interesting.

he had a good Goal-scoring record for England but as soon as Sven became Manager his Goals dried up as he was played out on the Left-Wing.

how the hell is he going to score when he is expected to make the chances for the Forwards?.

if Sven wants him back then he has to play in the middle and do the Sheringham job of linking up the Midfield and Forward Players.

but as Bibblies says Gerrard and Lampard have probably taken those roles now.

Beckham is a has been but will always be picked because of Sven's love affair with him.

S W-P is a Player for the future and at the moment is not fit to lace the boots of others.

Rooney is a Forward but is learning to play in a deeper role and that is good for Club and Country.

playing him as an out and out Forward does not work and he is much better drifting in from Midfield and that is where he should play IMO.

i loved your thought about how great our squad is.

we always flatter to decieve and manage to fuck up eventually at Championships.

same as the Dutch and Portugese........

Yep, I'm with you there, I hate "friendly" internationals, but understand why they have to be played. We can't go to international competitions without some practice.

As Bibblies says, there is a flux of mid-fielders who IMHO are better than Scholes, though I',m not sure Joey would be quite up to the standard yet (he has impressed recently admittedly).

Disagree with you SJ about Beckham, he is the main instrument for spraying those passes around and how many times has he got us off the hook (Think Greece!!!)

England doesn't need Scholes. They have a lot of quality midfielders already. I think England should play Cole wide left and bring in Bridge at LB. Cole has played great for us at wing when we were in a bind and was a winger at Arsenal before becoming a full back.

Until England can get somone, he is their best option for the 'left sided problem' that England has. He has pace, can go forward, can service, can cross, can score and defend. Downing is the only other player on the horizen that can be developed into a left winger but he's far from the finished article.

The midfield should be Cole, Lampard, Gerrard and SWP. He had a bout of the nerves in his first full start but he offers a lot on the right.

The FA also needs to hire a manager who doesn't care about politics. They need to hire a national team manager who could care less whether Becks or Owens starts. Someone who wouldn't have had Heskey on the team or a starter no less for that long of a time.

Someone with the balls to do what he thinks is right and ignore the press and the politics that the position has been clouded in for some time. Mourinho would make a good England manager. He's brash enough.

Allardyce or Curbishley have the ability but would not have the balls to bench Becks or Owen.

Friendlies are a waste of time IMO.

Sven and his oppo know what the Players can do,after all they watch them week in,week out.

the Squad is roughly the same each Game with the latest 'sensation' included.

but they are soon discarded when they do not score a Hat-trick on their debut.

we all the best 11 Players,but does Sven?.

i don't see the point of picking so many new Players and giving them a Cap,it devalues the honour in my eyes.

i have said in the past that Cole could be part of the English future,but he is wasted at Chelsea.

cannot get the Games each Week and Mourinho is wasting his talent.

Beckham has fallen behind since he joined RM IMO.

no good looking back 3-4 Years when he had his best performance,he is just not doing it now for Club or Country.

am watching the RM Game at the moment and he is poor,even Ronaldo is playing better......... :banghead:

Bibblies,

How can this guy who's so adventurous in seeking affairs be so frustratingly ultra-conservative in football?

I've always said this guy is WAY over-rated and has nothing extra to add. He's a First Division manager at most.

Sayjann,

we always flatter to decieve and manage to fuck up eventually at Championships.

same as the Dutch and Portugese........

Very true.

GOD, I hate to acknowledge this. FUCK!

Agree with others that there are enough excellent replacements for the positions in midfield.

Assigning Eriksson as manager was a big mistake. But the biggest mistake is failing to ACKNOWLEDGE the fact.

Proud fools!

:)

I too hate seeing Cole waste away at Chelski as a glorified Duncan Ferguson. I have never been a fan of Sven's defensive style of play. Too many times he has his team play not to lose instead of attacking and being aggressive offensively.

One of an Englishman's current joys is that for the last 4 years, while England have had a great pool of talent, Germany have had their worst team ever. And they've even got no decent players coming through! It's hilarious. You're so shit! You've Ballack ... and then what? :rotfl:

Archived