Win XP Reinstall Problems

Pescator

Had to do a XP reinstall, couldn`t get the CD to start the reinstall so I downloaded the 6 xp boot floppy disks and finally got the install right.

DL SP2 and consequently got a load of viruses, :( Yes, I should have known!

Tried to do a system restore, didn`t work.

So back to scratch.

But now I cannot even start the partitioning and formatting from the floppy disks.

I have loaded setup defaults in the bios, my boot sequence is 1) Floppy 2) DVD Drive.

Every time I try to start the install, from the floppy disks or from the XP CD, it loads the basic files and drivers, and goes all the way to the screen: "Setup is now starting windows...Please wait" and I get stuck there.

I ran Killdisk to completely erase the C HD but it didn`t do the trick.

Any suggestions to how I get on from here?

Oh, by the way. In my desperation I tried to install Win98 instead, I got a message "diskerror while writing a new bootpost to the first harddrive"

Does that suggest that my HD is F*****?

I have a 3 year old configuration.

1.4 ghz AMD

512 MB RAM DDR 233mhz

60 GB IBM Deskstar HD ATA100

80 GB Seagate HD ATA100 (backup drive with lots af data)

ASUS MB

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try deleting any partitions then try booting from your floppies.

I downloaded SP2 and all the add ons and had no problems at all !

And that was using a WinXP disc I bought in MBK for 100Baht !!

Works fine and Im using it now

::

Hate to say it but it sounds like the same symptoms I had when my hard drive was diagnosed as failed. What caused you to try and re-install XP if the first place? You might want to check if there is a hard disk test utility you can run from a floppy.

Hi,

I guess you somehow fucked up the MBR (master boot record). As you are ready to start from scratch you might try this: d

ownload Drive Fitness Test and erase bootsector and disk (quick mode). You might test the drive for problems while you are at it.

Then you should be able to start WinXP from cd/floppies, have the option to create partitions on your ibm drive and install WinXP.

Good luck

Agree, a MBR failure. Often caused when trying an unsuccessful install of W98 over XP.

Need a DOS based startup disk. Reformat the drive then try it all over again.

Several gallons of coffee and many hours are also necessary.

I wasn`t trying a win98 over a xp installation.

The HD was totally erased using killdisk and neither xp nor win98 installation ever come to a point where I could partition nor format.

And I did run a MBR/something command :o

to fix the MBR.

I do have a win98 boot diskette which allows me to boot and access DOS.

And I`ve created a logical dos partition and run the external format command.

Didn`t help one bit.

When I try to run the utility suggested, I get the message "insert disk in drive b"? I don`t have a drive B.

and "error Ramdrive not found or wrong ramdrive size."

This regardless of whether I boot on the win98 boot disk first or on this utility.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi KK,

Well, my xp was fucking up and system restore didn`t help one bit. Could only access windows in safe mode - for a while. I thought no big deal, I save all my data to my backup HD and do a clean install.

Little did I know that a virgin xp online without sp2 etc is very vulnerable to all sorts of virus/worms you name it.

And the time it took me to get sp2, further updates and antivirus was enough to crash my newly installed xp.

But I also suspect that my HD is a source of problems.

dunno.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Soidoggy,

My xp is from the same place but I only paid 80 bht, guess I should have forked out the extra 20! :)

However, it used to work just fine.

By the way, consider yourself lucky that you managed to install a xp without the service packs, do your updates and still be in business.

I just read an article that a virgin xp without updates as an average only lasts 20 minutes before it is severely infected.

That definitely was the case with mine. :(

cheers

Hua Nguu

>>>"I just read an article that a virgin xp without updates as an average only lasts 20 minutes before it is severely infected."

You need to have a good firewall running before you first connect to the Internet after a new install.

The problem you're having reminds me so much of the time my hard drive "failed." I was running into problems with XP and reinstalled it. It lasted a couple of hours then started getting weird. Finally got to the point it wouldn't boot. I did all the things you mentioned. Finally took the laptop back to where I'd bought it, lifetime warranty on labor, and they diagnosed it as a bad hard drive but since the technician appeared to be in training I wasn't 100% convinced. I took the opportunity to increase the size of hard drive.

I have always wondered if it was a virus that did me in. If I ever get to the point where I'm opening up my laptop for other stuff I plan to stick the old drive in and waste some more time trying to figure out if it's bad.

Good luck.

Also, you might want to look into creating slipstream XP SP2 installation disk before do get around to doing another install.

Hi,

you say you downloaded Drive Fitness Test (the Windows Diskette Creator), run it to make the floppy, and when you bootet from the floppy you got these error messages?

Please do it again, and this time please forget about the Win98 floppy. You absolutely don't need it. When asked choose 'ATA drives only'.

Just to make sure it works I downloaded the tool myself (had only an older version) created the floppy and bootet two different computers from this floppy. No problems, same procedure than ever. It also detects my new Hitachi drive on Sata controler. I was very pleased that this is possible. So the tool works, please try it again.

And killdisk does wipe your harddisk, sure, except for the MBR.

Archived