Win XP Reinstall Problems

Pescator

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an aside...

I've been delaying SP2 install due to so many horror stories I'd heard regarding slowdowns and incompatability.

With the new "Micro$oft upgrades only to SP2 users after April 12" thing, I did the upgrade 3 days ago.

Flawless! ::

And my machine seems to run better. Faster Firefox, and some weird, small problems have stopped, such as Windows Explorer recognizing my thumbdrive for 2 seconds and then not being able to access it again, unless I used the "go back" button. ::

Hi Carlton68

Did manage to erase MBR and the disk as well no problem using this tool. Checked the HD as well with the result "disposition code = 0x00" I assume it didn`t find any problems.

Tried to do the xp install again, both from the floppy disks and the CD, same result. Setup hangs after loading initial files/drivers... :(

But thanks for your suggestions guys.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Now this is curious ::

Yesterday I finished rebuilding a reasonably slow old machine. Runs at about 1.6Gigs

Wiped the hard drive and deleted the main partition.

Bunged in the XP CD (its the old one with the SP1)

It loads stuff for a few minutes then just like yours stops after loadng the drivers/ files. Just stops dead.

BUT

What I did was bung in the win98 set up floppy, partitioned and formatted the HD as per normal.

Then I copied the XP disc onto the HD and installed from that and it installed and worked perfectly. I just upgrade to SP2 last night and everythings fine.

Try that

Yep

Bunged in the old 1.4 set up floppy and deleted partition then formatted the HD then did a copy as you stated.

It then installed mighty fast and with no probs

The way I organize my machines is that I have the C: drive as the OS and another partition to hold my software. As hard drive space is relatively cheap, I put all my main software on the second partition as administration installation points (see Microsoft site about AIP's).

Maybe once or twice a year I reformat my OS drive and re-install my software.

<<burp>>

• 2 weeks later...

>Little did I know that a virgin xp online without sp2 etc is very vulnerable to all sorts of virus/worms you name it.

hmm. i reinstall every few months as a matter of routine. omitted SP2this time being informed it did more harm than good. so far so good after 2 months. having said this guess what's going to happen. added Drive Image to the arsenal.

Q about Drive Image. does it back up the registry? guessing it doesn't.

===

Archived