Thais and lending money

Zaad

Zaad said:

BB,

Friends and money never mix.

You obviously see money as the possible friendship-breaker and I don't. I see it as flaws in certain characters (if they allow money to dominate any other feeling) which I'm happy to set apart from what I call 'friends'.

Zaad,

Some wise input in this thread so far, maybe re-read it all.

As for defining friends..... one gets to have maybe 2 or 3 'real' friends in life, no more.

All the rest are not the real deal.

BB

<<As for defining friends..... one gets to have maybe 2 or 3 'real' friends in life, no more.

All the rest are not the real deal.>>

Hmm - I always say something similar, if you have more real friends than fingers on one hand, your doing well, and how to know they are a real friend, wait till your in trouble and need someone!

DOG

I have a total of 4 friends that i trust 100% and would lend them large amounts of money,as they would me.....as for the rest,if they ask me for money,i pull out $50 bucks and say this is all i have,do you want it? they always take it.....and if they don't repay it,well they have shown their true colours and it's $50 bucks well spent.

Zaad: I think a large part of it is because your gf's family are Chinese Thai. I find most ethnic Thais the complete opposite, they are constantly struggling with money and frequently ask to borrow money from each other. They seem to do so to a much greater extent than in the West.

Best thing to do in the future is not to tell the gf.

In my experience, never give out more money than you can afford to lose. Also, I make sure I know when I will get the money back - usually the other person has said to me anyway I'll pay you back next week etc so it is not a problem. If it was less than $50 it is certainly money well spent at MB says.

Dog said: "I find the poorer Thais of Isaan especially often lend easilly amongst themselves. Mostly because one day they may want to borrow!"

I think they lend between themselves to avoid being called kee niaow and/or to earn the high interest rate. But then I'm a cynical fart.

Archived