ADSL modem problem

My True ADSL modem (Zytel Prestige 630 USB) seems a little quirky now. It will disconnect iteslf in that the two LEDs will go off like it is unplugged from the USB. But the computer still thinks it is connected to the 'net. To recover, I need to unplug and replug the modem's USB connection, then diconnect the Network Connection icon in the system tray and reconnect. Then all is OK until it happens again (usually 12-18 hours, but it has done it three times today).

Any ideas? Can I replace the modem with another type (I am thinking that True would have a significant mark-up if I bought it from them)? Any suggestions for a good replacement readily available in Fortune/Panthip?

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

I have the same modem from True, haven't had any serious problems with it, except one time it was giving me a hard time. That problem was solved by uninstalling the driver and installing it again.

Since the modem is powered directly by your USB port, it could be that you have loads of usb stuff connected to your computer and there isn't enough juice left for the modem. Try a different usb port if you have multible available.

Last, yes there should not be any problems in getting a new modem at pantip, I haven't tried it myself but works fine for a couple of my friends.

Regards,

Cool, good to hear. Then I assume that an ADSL modem is an ADSL modem and it makes no difference who the ISP is, correct?

Good idea on the USB port power. The only other device I have is a Bluetooth dongle attached (and a 4-port hub but unsure if that takes any juice), but I am using an older laptop so maybe it is limited on USB power.

Cheers,

SD

Hi Suadum,

Most laptops have problems with delivering enough power on the usb (even the latest models). If your usb hub doesn't have it's own power supply you might be able to solve the problem by simply connecting the modem directly to your laptop.

Yeah, you will be doing fine with any ADSL modem. If you go buy a new one, you might want to get a wireless router with build in adsl modem to get your laptop on wireless internet, that way you have a good excuse to buy the new modem :)

Cheers,

First, the modem should have a 1-year warranty. So they should replace it if it's screwy.

Two, I've got the one they gave me. I've never used it. You can use it if you want.

Three, if you have more than one computer, I'd go out and by an ADSL router so you can network the computers together. If one is a laptop, get a wireless ADSL router (that's what I've got).

An adsl modem/device is an adsl modem/device. You just need to have the correct settings for it to work with True. It's not that hard. I've already installed four wireless adsl routers myself.

Got my number if you have other questions :)

<<burp>>

Archived