Remains of popular Hua Hin Bar Owner Found

Fidel

The remains of Toby, the owner of Rainbow Bar in Hua Hin, have been found burned in Keng Krachan National Park. His ex-wife, two of her relatives and a cop have been arrested.

Toby was very popular around town.. nice guy.

[color:"green"]

Trio quizzed over Briton's murder

Hua Hin lies about 200km southwest of Bangkok

Three people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a British bar owner in Thailand, police say.

Remains believed to be those of Toby Charnaud, 41, formerly a farmer in Wiltshire, were found on his ex-wife's property after he disappeared in March.

The ex-wife, Panada, and two of her relatives were held by police pending the identification of the remains.

Mr Charnaud owned a Western-style bar called Rainbow in the beach and golf resort of Hua Hin.

Speaking from his home in Chippenham, Wiltshire, Mr Charnaud's father, Jeremy, said he had hired a private detective in Bangkok to try to trace his son's killer.

We have feared the worst for quite some while

Jeremy Charnaud

"He has pushed things forward to finally end up with this possible discovery," he said.

"We have feared the worst for quite some while.

"It was just completely out of character for our son because he had never not communicated with his son and his son's carers on a very frequent basis."

Police searched Toby Charnaud's ex-wife's property after an investigation revealed that she may have been involved in his disappearance.

DNA testing

"We have found the burned remains and ashes on a plot of land that belongs to his ex-wife and we're detaining her and her relatives for questioning," said police Colonel Amnuay Warayavisut.

No charges have been filed yet, and the remains were being DNA tested, he added.

Mr Charnaud had a five-year-old son with Panada before they separated and he went to live with another Thai woman. He was awarded custody of his son.

Jeremy Charnaud said he and his son had farmed together in Wiltshire before Toby moved to Thailand about five years ago.

We are keeping in touch with the authorities

Foreign Office spokeswoman

"Farming wasn't for him. He wanted to work in Thailand and he was very happy indeed out there.

"He was distraught about his divorce but there was no question of him coming back to the UK."

Mr Charnaud said he was preparing to fly to Thailand to settle his son's affairs.

The Foreign Office, which said it believed that Toby Charnaud had been born in Cornwall, said it was aware that remains had been found.

"Obviously those remains have to be identified so we are awaiting further information," a spokeswoman said.

"We are aware that police have made a number of arrests in relation to this and we are keeping in touch with the authorities."

[/color]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4512327.stm

Pic of Toby

Unfortunately, stuff likes this occurs when one crosses path with just "bad" people..

I wonder if he would have gotten involved with the same type of perople or family back home?

So often a foreign culture and lang mask one's true identity and it does work both ways. The unfamilarity of it all and the chances we take that we would never take back on our home turf...

He was probably the sole provider for his son's well being and future and the wife (her own flesh and blood) probably has destroyerd more than one life here...

Just incredibly selfish and zero brain capacity shown by his ex-wife if she is the guilty party...

Lets see if justice is served...

CB

Toby was a friend,may he rest in peace.

He was a quiet man,who led a simple life.

It is believed that his ex wife would profit from his death, as he had not settled everything after the divorce.

I do not want to go into what allegedly happened,but it was a very brutal murder.

This is a stark warning for all of us,Toby was killed because,someone would gain, what would be considered a great deal of money in Thailand from his death.

I am sure i can speak for everyone in hoping that justice prevails.

samak said:

where is this Rainbow bar exactly? soi bintaban?

The longest bar/restaurant owner from Hua Hin (since 1987) is at the moment here in my home city, i talk with him about the crime yesterday. He told me that the Rainbow Manager had some big problems in the past few month, but don't know exatly about what happens.

And again, we should not forget between nice beaches, hot ladies, great food, wonderful weather and an amazing nightlife that life can be cheap in Thailand.

I wonder how much the victim had known about the woman and her background prior to marrying her.

Sad to say but life really is cheap in Asia. I remember one ex gf I stayed with for a couple of months in Pattaya who was a local dope dealer (sold to Thais and farang in the nightlife), was plotting with her friends to hire a guy for 10,000bt to kill a French guy who was slap happy with one of her best friends. I don't know if I was more shocked by the fact that they contemplated murder with ease or that the cost to get a farang killed was so cheap.

Gun,

if you may, what is "a lot of profit" in your defintion?

I know what is a lot in my culture but even after living here, still not that clear about how thais define wealth or how much to gain?

If and when i seriously get involve with a thai women, i want ot have a good handle of their perception of what is "a lot" vs mine...

It will be helpful when to disclose and when to keep my mouth shut....

CB

Archived