WARNING! DENGUE FEVER IN THAILAND!

A mate of mine lives on Koh Samui and he, his wife and one of his kids has contracted Dengue Fever last month.

This is a debilitating (sp?) disease and has left the family drained of any energy etc.

The only info I could find on this subject in Thailand is here.

web page

Thailand: One of Worst Epidemics of Dengue Fever On Record

Dengue/DHF - Thailand

Promed Source: Xinhua News Agency, Thu 16 Aug 2001

Thailand: One of Worst Epidemics of Dengue Fever On Record

Thailand will launch a week-long campaign starting next Monday to curb the rampant wave of dengue fever, the Department of Communicable Disease Control announced here on Friday. A statement from the Department said that the situation concerning dengue haemorhagic fever (DHF) this year is getting worse. From the beginning of the year until 4 Aug 2001, a total of 74 971 people fell ill and 139 died after infection [with dengue fever virus].

Of Thailand’s 76 provinces [the 10 that had] the highest incidence of dengue fever [included] Chon Buri, Nakhon Sawan, Phisanulok, Uthai Thani, Sa Kaew, Yala, Songkhla, Rayong, Lopburi, and Pattani. The highest mortality rate was recorded in another 10 provinces, namely Narathiwat, Yasothon, Chumphon, Suphan Buri, Chainat, Prachuab Khirikhan, Nong Bua Lamphu, Trat, Surin and Chiang Rai.

The Department said Thailand expects [to attain] effective control of the disease [as a result of] the campaign; [since the current] average mortality rate of 0.2 percent is lower than the 0.5 percent average rate in the world. It pointed out that patients who are brought to doctors in time can be saved. At the same time, precautionary measures have to be taken in the households by eliminating breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

If anyone else has more info, please post it here.

Thanks,

Jack.

I wasw arned about Dengue fever, in Thailand, by Trailfindrs travel clinic (London) about 2 years ago.

As indicated it is mosquito bourn. It is likely to appear as flu etc.

Keep using mosi guard sprays and take the little buggers seriously, seem to be the general view.

Also if you think you have got Dengue find a decent doctor PDQ

Don't catch it twice........

• 2 weeks later...

When I did my tefl, my instructor was coming to work with his shirt absolutely saturated. He appoligized and said that he had a really bad flu. Later he found out from the doctor he had mild dengue fever. This is only several weeks ago near mo chit station. The mozzies are bastards and one species carries malaria and the other carries dengue. One flies in the day, one flies at night, I am told. I seen a sign that talks about killing mosquitoes around the corner which is good as good buddists generally don't like to kill anything (I remember doing some thai lessons in oz and i squashed a mozzie. The 2 thai girls were so horrified by my actions I actualy felt ashamed). Also on tv they have had ads about emptying flower vases etc where there are children present. I find it hard to believe that mozzies don't carry AIDS. If you are in a night club sitting next to an AIDS carrier and a mozzie goes from that person and starts sucking on you. Surely the virus can be transmitted. I know mozzies here aren't as big as the ones at home but, geez their bite's a lot more potent.

I would not start cancelling your trip over this. Dengue is just an unfortunate part of life in the tropics. Nothing new.

I have known a few people who got it. But dont know one expat that has changed any part of their life over this.

If you start to get a huge headache, time to check yourself into a hospital for a week.

Stay away from aspirin and other blood thinners.

Dengue carrying mosquitoes are out during the day. If you are concerned wear some bug spray. But combined the spray with sweat, you may feel a bit unconfortable.

Just enjoy thailand and dont worry to much about it

Well actually in oz we have ross river virus, like dengue but, it keeps you sick for months sometimes. Also transmitted by mozzies. They spray creeks and canals during hotter seasons to kill'em.

Interesting facts about Dengue fever:

-- Globally, there are an estimated 50 to 100 million cases of dengue fever (DF) and several hundred thousand cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) per year

-- Average case fatality rate of DHF is about 5%

Anyone who want to know more can check out this website: Dengue Fever & Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever

Please also refer back to the thread we had going on this board in July.

WYD gives very good advice when he says don't take aspirin. That is the worst thing you can do! You will internally bleed to death. Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants, and some DEET, when touring in Pattaya/KohSamet/KohChang, and you will be fine. Don't worry. Just be smart. You're all smart, right? wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Straycat:

Interesting facts about Dengue fever:

-- Globally, there are an estimated 50 to 100 million cases of dengue fever (DF) and several hundred thousand cases of dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) per year

-- Average case fatality rate of DHF is about 5%

[/url]

I even thought this fatality rate was higher. I have often enough been warned by thai friends about the Khai Luat Ork, or DHF, because I prefer to wear shorts instead of trousers while in LOS.

The thai name of this disease also suggests something about what happens if you contract it: Khai Luat Ork literally translates as Fever blood comes out.

One Thai guy who works for my company got Dengue fever this year. He was told that there is a new strain of the disease that is worse than the normal dengue fever. He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks, but he got over it. He thinks that he got it when he went to Chiang Rai. I dont think that there is much to worry about in bkk.

Archived