Fatigue

Steve

Chocolat Steve

"Water consumption is also a very good idea."

Water (nam) is the key. With the heat, humidity, and pelvic exercises you need to stay hydrated. I was there last month and was consuming two gallons a day. The few days I didn't get much water was when I really felt worn down. Also, Som Tom (papaya salad) with extra chili peppers in the mid evening will surely get you going.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: NoBaht4U ]

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: NoBaht4U ]

The best thing for old bastards is Sanatogen.

Coffin dodgers in nursing homes drink gallons of the stuff.

Keeping hydrated is important. When you make your first steps into Asia you have a pretty misguided view about what to expect. After consuming all the info in the guidebooks, having got dosed up with anti-malarial medication to walk the mean streets of BKK(please), and equipped yourself with emergency dental/medical treatment kits nothing can prepare you for the heat and humidity. I'd already been to North Africa and thought I knew what it would be like but was I wrong.

As a result on my first trip, Malaysia via BKK, 5 years ago I got into consuming bottle after bottle of water. My buddy, a bit of a tough nut with a Royal Marine green beret to his name, was full of top tips on how to keep in shape. We set off down the river into the Teman Negara. Sitting in longtail boats zooming along the muddy Sungei Tembeling getting into the boonies and the affect of my massive water intake began to take hold.

Not a lot you can do when you're in that situation. Just grin and bear it. Thinking to yourself, "well do I just piss myself and spill a bottle of water on my lap to disguise it or do I accidentally fall overboard to have a slash etc". We weren't going to stop anytime soon. This was a 3 plus hour boat trip. Finally the solution. Being overprepared paid off. Out came the Leatherman and soon the litre bottle of water was converted into a piss pot. Filling it up and surreptitiously lashing the contents over the side it was back for round two. Ahh the relief. Never was a burst more well deserved.

Couple of days later I was still buoyant and full of piss (no change there then) whilst my mate who had not followed his own advice about keeping sufficiently hydrated nearly keeled over from heatstroke. Couple of trips later heatstroke virtually floored me on Koh Sichang. Not nice at all. Made up a mixture of water with liberal dosings of sugar and salt in it. That worked. But you can also pick up packs of rehydration salts which are slightly more palatable, coming in orange or lemon flavour.

Anyway, this is a little longwinded now so I'll shut up.

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: Sukhumvit ]

Archived