Icehockey World Championship 2006 in Latvia

Mentors

tomorrow, is semi-final time.

It will be very interesting, if Olympia Winner Sweden can kick out the Canadians.

I quite shure, they will.

And Finland - Czechia will be a very interesting to watch, i think.

"For the first time since 2002, Finland has triumphed in the IIHF World Championship quarter-finals. With a 3-0 victory over a hard-working Belarus team, the Finns earned themselves a semi-final clash on Saturday with the Czech Republic at 16.15 at Riga Arena. Canada-Sweden goes at 20.15."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today afternoon and eveneing will see the exciting two semi-finals ::

from the official site:

"As we head into the semi-finals, four of the heavy hitters are left: Canada, Sweden, the Czech Republic, and Finland. If any of these teams wins, no one will be surprised. It's that close."

"Finland has allowed just ten goals in seven games, and the team has four shutouts to its credit in just seven games played. Antero Niittymaki, who is injured and lost to Finland for the rest of the tournament, has two of those shutouts."

The Czechs have the weakest rate of success on the power play, having scored just eight goals in seven games--but three of those goals came in its critical quarter-final win over Russia

Individually, Canada dominates the scoring list. The members of the top line are all among the top six tournament leaders. Sidney Crosby and Patrice Bergeron lead the way with 13 points each, Crosby also leading in goals with seven, while Brad Boyes has four goals and eight points.

The next top scorer is defenceman Petteri Nummelin of Finland, with 10 points (three goals). The top-placed Swede is Andreas Karlsson with seven points (five goals). The top Czechs are Martin Erat and captain David Vyborny, each with seven points.

Afternoon game

Finland - Czechia

Evening game

Canada-Sweden

actual it's since a while bedtime for me, but, after the Finnish Shockrocker Band LORDI has won the European Song Contest 2006 tonight, i'm to much excited to sleep, anway, after i had a lot of beers and Scots and talks with a Thai girl in a pub near my flat - ahem, anyway, i have to do my job: so, here the results:

CANADA - SWEDEN 4:5

"In a high tempo, run-and-gun affair, Sweden held on for a 5-4 win over Canada tonight in front of 8,845 fans at Riga Arena to earn a spot in tomorrow night's gold-medal showdown with Czech Republic.

"The game was not without controversy, as Mika Hannula (the hat trick hero for Sweden in the quarter-finals) was given a game misconduct for a vicious cross-check to the jaw of Sidney Crosby while the 18-year-old phenom was celebrating a goal near the end of the second period. After the videotape was reviewed, Hannula was assessed a match penalty and given an automatic one-game suspension by the tournament directorate"

FINLAND - CZECHIA 1:3

"Czech captain David Vyborny's goal with 3:43 remaining helped his team secure a 3-1 victory over Finland in semi-final action at Riga Arena Saturday. For the second straight year, the Czechs have earned a spot in the gold medal game, where the defending champs will face Sweden."

Final for tomorrow:

SWEDEn - CZECHIA

ok, now it's bedtime

this afternoon:

Game for 3rd place

Canada - Finland

It was close, but in the end Canada could not overtake Sweden. After being down 5-2, Canada battled all the way back but fell short, losing a 5-4 contest. It was a disappointing loss for a team that was consistent throughout the tournament

Throughout this tournament, the Finns played like prospective gold medallists. Then Antero Niittymaki got hurt and the Finns lost their vital netminder.

game for 3rd place.

Canada - FINLAND 0:5 :applause:

With a 5-0 blanking of Canada on Sunday evening, Finland captured the bronze, its first IIHF World Championship medal since earning silver in 2001. The Canadians, meanwhile, failed to get a medal for the first time since 2002. It was a rough, chippy affair as both teams were visibly grouchy after failing in the semi-finals. :applause:

tonight: the final between Sweden and Czechia.

The Final from Tonight

SWEDEN WINS!

SWEDEN - CZECHIA 4:0 (2:0,2:0,0:0) :bow::applause: :applause:

Czechia never has a change tonight.

SWEDEN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GOLD MEDAILIST 2006

SWEDEN OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAILIST 2006

1. SWEDEN

2. CZECHIA

3. FINLAND

4. CANADA

The impossible dream has come true. With a dazzling attack and air-tight defense, Sweden defeated the Czech Republic 4-0 Sunday night at Riga Arena and became the first nation in history to capture Olympic and IIHF World Championship gold in the same year.

3561.jpg

from the official site:

The victory ended an eight-year gold drought at the IIHF World Championships for the Swedes. Only one member of the 1998 team that triumphed in Zurich, Switzerland also took part in Sunday's climactic match: forward Jorgen Jonsson of Farjestads BK Karlstad, the all-time leader in national team games.

Overall, it was Sweden's fourth World Championship title in the last 16 years. Tre Kronor also retained its number one overall spot in the IIHF World Rankings, which it achieved in the Olympics in February.

The Czechs, who were defending champions, failed in their bid to win back-to-back titles for the first time since 2001, but the silver represented their second consecutive IIHF World Championship medal.

Sweden will defend its title at the 2007 IIHF World Championship in Russia, starting next April.

Ahh come on, everyone knows that at least 50% (possibly more) of the credit goes to Mika Hannula who, as everyone knows, is practically Finnish for all intents and purposes. So Finland won the championship.

Just kidding. Congratulations to the Swedish, Czech never stood a chance. The medalists were the same as in the Turin olympics, fortifying the european domination of the world's hockey affairs. Too bad the potential Russian side got eliminated in the quarter-finals, I felt they were the only team that could've made the final a thriller instead of the yawner it turned out to be. Still, once more, hats off to Sweden.

Agree, Russia could made it, but the team was to inexperienced. Another problem is, that the coaches still runs after the old fashion style. The are not much connect to the you players. And thats why a lot of NHL-Cracks cancel their interests for the World Cup.

It will be interesting to see what it will happen next years in St. Petersburg/Russia.

Archived