Flight prices to Bangkok...OMG!

monkey39

Dear m39

Like the boys said you just have to be a little creative and cheaper tiks can be found. The last couple of years I have had to use my FF miles on Contintental to LAX then go EVA Deluxe from LAX-TPE-BKK. I too am going back in June arriving the 16th. This far out from Xmas the airlines are going to post higher prices. I have two consolidators here in H'town that I use. PM me if you want their #'s. Getting pretty HOT here isn't it ? :(

Around Xmas? Forget about it. I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a last minute ticket without having any place to stay.

Stayed in LOS for the holiday and met my future wife in the boonies of Chiang Rai. How crazy is that?

I paid $2500 for that ticket. :(

If you are departing after December 24th, you should be able to get less than the peak season fare. The problem is, nobody's dicounting those fares right now. That period is not quite peak season, yet the loads are usually pretty good.

If you are patient, the airlines normally release pricing to the consolidators about three months in advance. So you'll see your deals around September. I'd wait till then, if I were you. You'll be able to get a relatively cheap seat on SOME airline, even if it's not youir favorite.

Agree with Tourneyboy (sp?) as well. The consolidators, at least in the US market, don't buy up the seats (as they onece did). They basically just receive a cheap net fare with performance guarantees, plus incentives. When they sell directly to the public, they normally mark up the tickets just about enough to match the price of a third party travel agent who would have sold it to you for the same amount.

Cool, thanks for the advice! BTW, I did some checking again during the day, and I started finding fares again arount the USD$1000 range. I was searching late night/early morning when I saw the USD$1500 tickets...maybe I should just get some sleep, instead of obsessing about Thailand? :o Nah, that couldn't be it...

USVirgin, thanks for the tip about waiting til September...I didn't know about that!

monkey39

Tis the season.

Summer travel to SE Asia is notoriously expensive. Add on the increased fuel prices, and you hav3e a recipe for high fares. You will need to shop ALOT to get a good fare, and move fast when you find it.

As said earlier, fares should come down in Sept.

Both Bangkok papers having been advertising prices fromm 22000 to 28000 baht from LAX, New York, and Chicago. Maybe somebody over here could help you?

Nana_boy said:

Both Bangkok papers having been advertising prices fromm 22000 to 28000 baht from LAX, New York, and Chicago. Maybe somebody over here could help you?

Well, since a round-trip flight from Texas to LAX or NYC comes out to around $350, the $1000 tickets I was seeing seems about right. Per the advice above, though, it seems like ticket prices may go down in September. Thanks for the info, though!

monkey39

Archived