Indians and Chinese checking in at airports.

Redbaron

Last week, Miss Red left sunny Melbourne to go back to Thailand. Since we're (now I) in the new house, in a new area, I overestimated how long it would take to get to the airport, and consequently we were early for check in, and actually had to wait for the counter to open.

In front of us were about 7 couples and families. They were all Indian and Chinese, and they all had far too much luggage. Some had extra bags hidden under their jackets, one had one of those airport trolleys loaded up with fruit boxes 9 feet in the air, the runner up had a dozen medium sized suitcases (2 people)! Strange enough they all seemed surprised when they were told, "Sorry ma'am, 20kgs per person."

It was on for young and old. Miss Red was amazed, assumed they were moving to Thailand, I suggested they may have a shop and were intending on selling some stuff when they got home... who knows?

It all worked well for us, as Miss Red was a single traveller, with one little bag- she was asked to check in at the VIP counter, and avoided the wait.

After she checked in, we grabbed a couple of coffees and watched the show, it went for about 30 minutes, not many people in the queue were impressed.

I've found this happening at quite a few airports, anyone know why? I guess human nature, people trying to get away with something for nothing.

Some was checked in, security was following some of them, as they appeared to be hiding it in a walker/stroller/baby pram, whilst carrying the baby. Most of them were going through their luggage afterwards, trying to get more into the suitcases I guess.

Some of the family members who were obviously not travelling seemed to be taking the boxes back with them. funny

This used to happen all the time in Singapore.

The very high import duties (and many still exist) made a viable business of a white goods store flying a family to Singapore for a holiday (Family paid for hliday) and then getting the family to return with massive amounts of "Personal Goods" for resale. (think 400% import duty!)

Have seen them take bar fridge and tv's on as "carry on"

Still, to this day a common sight in Singapore.

india is still a expensive country for some goods.

DOG

I also was early last friday for check in on Qatar to Doha and Farangland.

There was a group of 5 arabs with lots of luggage and heavy boxes.

Took ages for the group to get through and people waiting behind them were getting upset, understandably. They did not seem to have weight problems though, althought he two last boxes weighted 30kg each.

Btw, For the first time over the last 7 years was the plane not full: 80% to Doha (and Qatar has two Airbus A330 flights/day out of Bangkok and the connecting flight to Paris had less than 50% occupancy.

Ever seen a check-in line for a flight going to the Philippines?

Probably average 100kg+ per person - because of "pasalubong", the Filipino custom of returning from a journey with a gift for everyone who has even a passing acquaintance with you.

Archived