Slavery -- It's Not Just for SE Asia Anymore...

Feds say homeless lured to Florida labor camp

Sunday, June 5, 2005 Posted: 10:47 AM EDT (1447 GMT)

EAST PALATKA, Florida (AP) -- Federal agents raided a migrant farm labor camp where homeless men and women were kept in what labor officials called a version of modern-day slavery.

Four people, including the camp's owner, Ronald Evans, face federal charges in a case that officials said is likely to grow. Investigators are looking into alleged environmental violations and drugs found at the camp in Friday's raid.

"The word is out that we are concerned about human trafficking, and we will leave no stone or camp unturned," said Steve Cole, a spokesman for Jacksonville U.S. attorney Paul I. Perez.

Officials said homeless people were recruited to the Evans Labor Camp through offers of room and board, along with alcohol, tobacco and drugs, which they bought on credit. But they never made enough in the field to pay it off, according to an investigative summary.

"A lot of times, they get them indebted even before they get back to the camp," federal agent Rebecca Hall said.

In a small central shed, investigators found about 100 rocks of suspected crack cocaine along with cigarettes and beer. Detective Lt. John Merchant described the shed as a "shop" where the rocks were sold for $20 each.

Department of Labor agents were joined in the raid by local officials and agents from the Environmental Protection Agency, which was investigating illegal dumping of raw sewage into a tributary of the St. Johns River.

"They've found what clearly looks like EPA violations, discharging raw sewage into the environment," said Putnam County Sheriff's Capt. Gary Bowling.

Seventy-eight potato field workers were interviewed at the compound south of Jacksonville. Some were arrested on unrelated, outstanding warrants.

Federal civil rights attorneys waited outside the camp to talk to the workers, offering them help getting out of the camp and finding other work. About 20 left with the attorneys.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/05/labor.camp.ap/index.html

Cheers,

SD

Its everywhere, Suadum - the difference is that the perps cant buy off the locals for a few pesos here in Farangland. A few thousand dollars, maybe, but pesos ?

The other big difference is that, even among the outer suburban white trash that we have here in Oz, there arent too many parents who would sell their own kids into slavery.

white trash, abo's, femni nazis, is there anyone in oz you like!

LOL ! I live you Phil, but that doesnt mean we are going to be taking long, hot showers together.

I dont have anything against aboriginal people - its the welfare state that angers me. As for femiNazis - I dont think I'm alone in despising them their man-hating ways. Our white trash upset me because we have a system in place which should ensure that we dont *have* white trash - how many other countries are as generous as ours when it comes to education and welfare ? Tell a Thai or an Indonesian that you'll pay him *not* to work ....

Lots of Chinese shipped here illegally, oftentimes in shipping containers and are slaves in a sense to pay off their passage of which they never seem to make enough money to pay off.

One man's idea of slavery is another man's dream job as Arsenal's Ashley Cole said he was on slave wages of 27k a week.

But I digress...as usual...I've actually been to that area of Florida. Very poor in parts. I have a cousin there and we had a family reunion at his place about 5 years ago. I didn't see any slaves but I was too busy not recognizing distant relatives. Bad joke, apologies. Rest assured there are plenty of lawyers that will get each of them tens of thousands of dollars in a big lawsuit. Not that its not deserving in this instance, but its how things work here. Not sure what affect a homeless person with probable substance abuse issues will do with 50k but its none of our business is it?

The situation in northern Africa (Sudan, etc.) is the most blatant and which I have always criticized the civil rights groups here in the states for not focusing more attention on. As long as we're talking organizations, the UN especially. What do we pay 'em for?

Hi!

Our white trash upset me because we have a system in place which should ensure that we dont *have* white trash - how many other countries are as generous as ours when it comes to education and welfare ?

I would suggest a brief trip to Sweden and you could go home to aussie land happy. :: :wave::neener::wave::neener:

regards

ALHOLK

Archived