Malaria cases in Chumphon, Surat Thani and Ranong

elef

The article is not about malaria prophylaxis for tourists. It is about malaria in the resident population. You are not going to give Burmese migrants malarone or whatever for the rest of their life, regardless of side effects (they make 1 USD a day, maybe 2, malarone is about 100 USD for a course)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HonoluluJimmy

MALAEROUS AREAS: Its always interesting as to how or when places get on the M list. Phuket just made the list at my HMO so......ATOVAQ259MO/PROGUANIL100MG (COMBO into same horse pill) Drop one the day before you arrive, 1 daily while in the area, and for 7 days there after. Become symptomatic: 750 MG Cipro and get the to a MD. NOTE: for us Asia punters ALL of Cambo is on the list and we are advised to seek Med Attention in Thailand same same for LOAS

[HJ, keep the bickering out of your posts! - KS]

Of course Cipro is NOT the recomended treatment, Just as the above listed meds are not the reccomeneded for the areas listed. As I mentioned many times, I am not familiar with this area and do not pretend to be, However for my area, Chloroquin is the reccomended anti malarial drug along with a totally different dosage. That said I would just have to go by my earlier statement that is would be foolish to take any meds going by what was said on an internet forum and it is best to speak with a physician who knows your medical history.

My travel doc told me the only advantage of taking the malaria meds before a trip is that if you become infected it would mean less injections to get over it.

In his opinion unless you were going to spend a number of months in a dangerous area (whatever that means), it wasn't worth getting the vax.

Again I shall say,

For medical it is best to speak with YOUR Doc who is knowledgable in Malaria AND your background, Not a message board. As far as a VAX? There is NO vaccination, only Anti Malarial Drugs. It only take ONE infected mosquito so the many months thing is just bad info in my opinion. I know a few who have contracted Malaria, I have taken Chloroquin on all trips my Doc has reccomended and have not contrated it. Thats enough for me. I have never had noticeble effects and the drugs are cheap so why take the chance?

My doctor gives me doxcycline. One pill a day, starting a few days before and ending 2 weeks after a malaria zone. I take Cipro when I get diarhea or vomiting and it is all under control within a few hours. Good if you're traveling that day.

Guest HonoluluJimmy
HonduranBob said:

Of course Cipro is NOT the recomended treatment, Just as the above listed meds are not the reccomeneded for the areas listed. As I mentioned many times, I am not familiar with this area and do not pretend to be, However for my area, Chloroquin is the reccomended anti malarial drug along with a totally different dosage. That said I would just have to go by my earlier statement that is would be foolish to take any meds going by what was said on an internet forum and it is best to speak with a physician who knows your medical history.

As to Cipro NOt etc.... the presecibing MD is a speicalist in Tropical Crud....Say, where did you get you medical degree to be saying what is and is not medically correct? The only good info above is that you ain't knowing nutten.....

I've had great success with the system at m HMO and continue to listen to the Medical Progfessionals and not......

Archived