Test after 1 month total waste of time??

I posted a reply but apparantely it didn't get through. So you say that the average time is 25 days. Would it be a total waste of time having a first test after 1 month (and then after 3 and 6 months too)?? At the moment, I'm going crazy. Didn't sleep for two nights. One moment I'm sure I couldn't have contracted HIV as I have no open wounds on my penis and I was inside her for maybe about 45 seconds. Next moment I'm convinced I absolutely did contract it, no doubt about it and I start thinking about the Bangkok skyline and which skyscraper to choose if the result is positive (because if the test is positive I'm not waiting for the death penalty to slowly be executed, hell no). GOING CRAZY.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calm down a little. I did not see the beginning of this thread, but it is about worrying about contracting HIV after a one time encounter with a bargirl, keep it cool. The chances are reasonably small. Just change your behaviour for the future, do the test and wait for the result.

In general, people who have HIV should not go about thinking to do drastic things. As far as anyone who follows just the news can assess, the prognosis (what happens with a diseased person in the future) is on the same level as the prognosis of people with heart disease. You do not see people jumping of buildings because they had a small heart attack, do you? Well, much the same for HIV. It is not a soon to be dead or sick sentence. You can live with it so long nowadays, that you have a lot of chance to die from some other cause in the mean time.

Cheer up!

quote:

Originally posted by Stupid Stupid:

I posted a reply but apparantely it didn't get through. So you say that the average time is 25 days. Would it be a total waste of time having a first test after 1 month?

Not if the test is positive! Yes, if it's negative as it sounds like you are going to worry yourself sick anyway.

If you turn out to be unlucky then I think you should wait a while before you top yourself. Still a lot of fun to be had from life in Thailand. Easy to talk about what you would do now but if you did test positive I am sure you would want to savour every remaining breath.

I have a mate you tested positive over 3 years ago and is still here enjoying a normal life. Hasn't got sick yet, no medication, just taking life as it comes. What else can you do?

LG

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm trying to calm down a bit, take a deep breath and all that. Am considering going to Bangkok tomorrow, to that Bumrungad hospital in Suk3 to talk face-to-face with a doctor.

Again, thanks. Your replies are a life-saver. Maybe you're monitoring the threads where you reply, so I'll repeat what happened (the very short version) and it'd be great reassurance to hear your opinion. Short version, met a BG 'off-duty on the beach in South-Pattaya, got talking and got along well, she came to my room with no talk of money at all. I didn't want to have intercourse as I was thinking about my poor girlfriend (GOD, never felt so guilty before in my life). Anyway... in the middle of the night ended up having sex with her anyway, but not longer than about 45 seconds as every time I entered her, I felt I just couldn't. I don't have any open wounds on my penis. --- Now, the second stupid part of the evening, in the, eh, heat of the moment, I ate her pussy for about 5 minutes or so.

And now I've come to my senses and realise it's the most stupid thing I have ever done and that I will ever do in my life for sure, no doubt about that. --- Please, people who replied before, tell me what you think, as I'm going nuts here and your replies are incredible valuable to me. I'm a newbie here (lived/worked in LOS a reasonably long time but have always been here with my girlfriend and no 'escapades'). -- 45 seconds of reluctant intercourse and 5 minutes of eating her pussy, enough to convict me to death?

Sigh.

Stupid Stupid,

according to various studies, 47-90% of people who contracted HIV undergo what is called "seroconversion sickness", usually 2-4 weeks after infection.

The sickness may resemble flu or mononucleosis and the symptoms may be fever, joint pain, swollen lymph nodes especially in the neck and groin, general malaise, thrush, ulcers in the mouth or on the genitals and some others. Look it up on a search engine.

If you didn't have any of the above symptoms in the specified time after the risky intercourse, you have a good chance of not having been infected - a good chance, but no guarantee, mind you. Many people exhibit no symptoms at all after infection.

I know a guy HIV+ for over 10years(14 I think)and still going pretty good.Going back to my home town I met a friend who was in difficult situation 7 years ago and who's now 10kg heavier...And the treatments are geting better,U shouldn't think Ur health gonna worsen tremendously and fast if U get infected.I have several friends who died from aids pretty young though,but recently they were foreigners living illegally in Europe and I don't think they could get all the medical coverage they needed.Drugs here again makes matter worses.And again,even if the girl was infected U're at low risk.

relax(And stack a few condoms home for next time)

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: luisBKK ]

what the hell are you talking about? 25 days what? incubation can take up to 6 months. On the other end, don't freak out like this. I've done stupid things like you in many years of LOS traveling, and i do advise to play safe of course, but i am still clean. If that consoles you, i know a few buddies who have been into a lot of unsafe sex in LOS for years, and they are still negative. So, start playing safe all the time and don't worry too much about last time. I recommend guys too paranoid about having sex with BGs not to patronize them as obviously they will not enjoy it and will worry too much about "what ifs". there are some nice temples to visit in Thailand, and the people don't have to be sexually active to make your stay memorable.....

Don't worry, I think ,most people here have at some point had a situation like yours and worried like you have.

I know people say that you cant tell if a girls has HIV and to a certain extent that is true, but girls especially suffer the symptoms a lot quicker. A lot lot quicker, ie they will in a lot of cases suffer Vaginal thrush very badly, you would have noticed this!!! definitely

Also as Scum has mentioned people suffer flu like symptoms in most cases usually within a few days to 2 -3 weeks. These symptoms are a virus and usually last between 10 days to 2 weeks. In extreme cases can even hospitalise.

Its a sad fact but in the UK at least more hetrosexual males who have worried that they have contracted hiv through sex with a woman have committed suicide through worry than have actually contracted the virus.

Don't worry laugh.gif" border="0

Archived