TRAIN - FROM BANGKOK TO CHIANG MAI - HOW . . .

unit731

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each cubicle has two seats that are facing each other. When it comes time to make up the bed, the porter opens up both seats and that is the lower bed. The other bed is opened above the seats, like the overhead bagage compartments on airplanes. I don't think that I'd like to have to crawl up at night to the upper beds. There is a curtin that closes for privacy for both the upper and lower beds.

for daytime travel take the 08.30 exp sp drc arriving CM 19.45

It's a plane style airco seating train, they provide food included in the price (not very tasty though) I take this train regularly between Chumpon and Bangkok. Nice scenery daytime.

You should book a week in advance.

What's the Centre hotel opposite Hualampong train station like?

I tried unsuccessfully to book via internet twice there this year and will try again on my return to bkk. Are superior rooms worth the extra cash?

have to agree with Phil,Sanuk does not have to cease on train.

i went overnight to Nong Khai and my Girl and i shared the top berth.

we had fun but got bollocked in the morning for sharing 1 berth is not to be recommended and frowned upon.

Maybe, after reading the above, I will take train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. I only need to see the scenery once. And maybe it is best to fly up to Chiang Mai and travel train back to Bangkok. 08:30 trains sounds good. The "Sprinter".

Bangkok to Chiang Mai train timetable

Hualampong railway station

Cnr Phra Ram IV road and Kung Kasem road

Tel: 0-2223-3762, 0-2223-7788 Ext. 4201-3

Train

Departure

Arrival

Rapid Train

Sprinter

Rapid Train

Special Express

Sprinter

Special Express

Express

Chiang Mai to Bangkok train timetable

Chiang Mai railway station

Charoen Muang road, east of the city, across the river.

Tel: 0-5324-7462, 0-5324-5363

Train

Departure

Arrival

Rapid Train

Sprinter

Express

Special Express

Special Express

Sprinter

Rapid Train

Fares and facilities

Rapid Train:

181 - 341 baht seated only

Special Express:

201 - 441 baht seated, 491/561 sleep (top/bottom), 671/741 with a/c

Sprinter:

511 baht, seated only

Express:

181 - 341 baht seated, 441/491 sleep (top/bottom)

thalenoi

uglyfatfarang

What's the Centre hotel opposite Hualampong train station like?

I tried unsuccessfully to book via internet twice there this year and will try again on my return to bkk. Are superior rooms worth the extra cash?

:topic:

I just put a post on the Center Hotel - now the Bangkok Center Hotel. Under Accomodation.

Also, what side of train is better if any? Sometimes it is better to have sun early in ride or later in ride - so side of train is important. But I dont't know if one can pick which side to sit on.

My opinion:

Take the nighttrain so you can sleep and don't "waste" a lot of time on transportation. It does not matter on what side you're on, in second class (where you sit opposite to somebody else and the banks become beds at night) you can not see anything through the windows because they are half painted for advertisements on the outside. Therefore the sun does not bother you either. And besides, you don't see much sun that late.

But if you take the nighttrain, always pay the 100-200 baht extra for the lower bed! The upper bed is shit, the curtain hangs to low so you're little space is always lighted by the lights and the upperbed is about 20 cm smaller than the lower bed. Especially when you're 1,80 meters long or more, in the upper bed you cannot lie and you have to fold yourself. The lower bed however bigger so you can lay "diagonal" and you don;t have to fold yourself up. Besides its much darker there.

And remember, the lower beds are more expensive, but it is worth it because you feel better in the morning and it won't spoil your first day in CM because you're to tired.

Thank you.

But I am taking train during the day TO SEE the scenery. If the glass is covered up in 2nd Class, then which class has windows to look out? With air conditioning, of course.

You see . . . I have taken trains all over Europe. Trains give a different view than roads or airports. We don't have trains where I am now so the train is an extra bonus. And I am only taking train one way. So I only "waste" one day seeing the real Thailand.

The best living is not the "destination" but the "journey" !

Ponder that while I try to find out which day train has windows (and air conditoning). :dunno:

Archived